Leak Detection Equipment (beyond the shovel)

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by SmartWaterApps, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone here has much experience with any of the mainstream leak detectors used for larger municipal infrastructure all the way to residential piping.

I am considering investing in a piece of equipment and any additional training for next year and figured I would start the search on that here.

Anyone have some input on this?

Thanks!

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

If they are thinking they're players, they'll be at I.A., we'll check them out.

3. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

which equipment?

i own fisher and have been around correlation equipment enough to have a basic understanding of it's use.

what's your market ? pools, slab and plumbing are different animals than municipal correlation or survey projects.

4. Well, I have only done some very preliminary searches, and have not spent any real time working with any of the equipment.

I guess a "catch-all" piece of detection equipment isn't going to happen then is it? :) Unfortunately I am unsure of the greatest use that I would be putting the equipment to at this point other than "general" leak detection in outdoor settings. (indoor leaks are a little easier to find)

And sorry, you own Fisher, or own A Fisher? I assume you are talking about

www.fisherlab.com

Thank you for the reply. I will be looking at that site right now.

5. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

i have the xlt-16 which i prefer over the newer xlt-17 or the xlt-30.

you will prolly find gathering information on leak detection to be pretty tough, most leak detectors are pretty tight lipped as far as web published material goes.

one might search the larger companies websites focusing on the equipment they're using, along with a leak detector you'll need an underground cable finder of some type, if you like i can email some pdf's for you to browse.

100_0676.jpg

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

You sure have some cool stuff, Jim. :clapping:

7. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

one way or another i have worked around water most of my life, it wasn't until i was in my early 40's that i started looking at water conservation and that's when i started acquiring my specialty tools and equipment.

i think that you more than anyone on this forum understands that the things we own eventually own us...

i admire your early recognition of this fact and that you are a solid role model for the minimalist lifestyle that we should strive to live. :waving:

8. Thanks for the photo.

If you are able to send anything you think would be relevant along when you have a moment on a rainy day, that would be great.

I just read up on some of those models. How is the learning curve on them?

Thanks again.

9. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Jim,
    Do you remember the one we have? LoL

I haven't touched it since april.

10. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

LD1200?

after you finish winterizing, spend some time getting to know the machine, i think i sent you the manual, if not i can get one for you.