leak in my bp-blower gas tank

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bababooie, Jan 25, 2002.

1. bababooie

bababooie LawnSite Member

is there any way to stop a leak that i have in my plastic gas tank on my back pack echoe blower,its not huge but its a hassel,ive tried putting some silicone caulking on it but evenyually the gas seeped thru . thanks
  2. scagman

scagman LawnSite Senior Member

I had the same problem with my shindy blower. It would come out through the cap I had duckdape all over that thing. It rained real hard one night and had left the blower in the trailer next morning I got to my first account mowed then went to blow would not start. I couldnt just leave without blowing so I started up my w/b and went up and down the sidewalks and driveway. I went home and got my handheld to finish the day. After work I went up a bought a stihl BR 400 great blower.
  3. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

I had that problem with an old shin BP blower. The tank was getting brittle. I always used a soldering iron to weld the tiny crack back together......I just made sure the tank was empty just incase..this seems to be much more effective than caulk and duct tape
  4. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

you might try some jb-weld, might be fuel resistant
  5. Get a new gas tank

And had the prob before on Echo gas caps.
  6. Cutright2002

Cutright2002 LawnSite Member

If the hole is small enough try one of those screws with the rubber washer on it and a little silcone under before screwing it in.
    If that does not fix it get a new tank, we would hate to see you burst into flames.
  7. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: JB-WELD will do the trick.T
  8. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

JB Weld will do the trick only temporarily. Sooner or later it'll start leaking again. Best solution is to get a new tank or blower. It's also the safest.
  9. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

Weve had this problem a couple times. If you dont want to replace the tank, first drain the tank and let it dry. Then get something plastic that melts easy. then light it and let it drip onto the hole in the tank. It will cool off and seal the hole.

i used part of a trash bag once, and a piece of plastic from quart of oil once. This might last half a season, or it might last the life of the blower.
  10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I have a problem with all of these "blackwire" solutions.

what if you blackwire a repair and the thing blows the seal and leaks on you.

and the you get a backfire or whatever and you assgoes up in flames?

stop the bs and get a new tank! geese.