leak job- made a boo boo

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by mitchgo, Jul 27, 2011.

1. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

No pics

After a total of 15 hours of investing time into this yard checking the water pressure should have been one of the first things to do.

A 450' main line run on a irrigation system . I have found 5 seperate leaks in the main line ( cracked pipes and leaky fittings)

There are at least 2 more leaks. I was curious to what the water pressure was
    so I tested it nearing the end of my time spent

Come to find out the pressure was a 165 PSI at the back flow assembly- and the rest of the system is down hill. The valves in the back yard I could easily see being 180-185 PSI.

Woops. A PRV Master Valve combo will now be in order. Also installing a wilkins prv prior to the Pressure compensating master valve . Your supposed to install 2 prv's in series 4:1 ratio. This will be 3:1 . Still I feel safer with both in

2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

how are you measuring your PSI?

3. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

with my back flow tester kit

120 dynamic psi o.o

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Can I shoot over and install some Stream-Rotors? :clapping:

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

don't be a piker - go for Rain Pro heads :)

6. Buck_wheat

Buck_wheat LawnSite Senior Member

OK I'll bite, I'm probably the cherry here. Where the F do you get 165 PSI from? Is that static or dynamic? Is it a golf course, agriculural, a frigging fire hydrant, what?

I service a 4" loop (about 2,500ft) serving 10 zones... my dynamic pressure is about 70-72 psi which is enough to lift all the Hunter PGP's in each zone and give me a 35" throw.

Early on, when I started, this system had a no flow condition when a zone valve didn't open that brought static pressure to about 120, at which point it blew a fitting and I had a mountain of turf with a $hitload of water underneath it.

I've installed a pressure relief valve and a "Hot Stop" at the pump. The relief valve is set @85 PSI (dynamic).

I've serviced other systems, larger than this one where I have never seen dynamic pressure much over 70 PSI.

So anybody, help me out, (this was in a guys back yard?). What was his source to get pressure readings as high as 180-185 with leaks in the line. I'm surprised it didn't wash away his mountain.

Any way, mind you I'm just a Florida boy and not too smart...:confused: but I'm willing to learn.

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

elevation, dude - pump that water up to the top, and the folks lower down have pressure they wish they didn't

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

We get 120-180 psi all the time on city water here. That's standard for us. Every house has a pressure regulator, but some older systems (or some rookie jackazzes) have the system in before the PRV. Quite often the PRV also fails, and then we have a high pressure problem. We replace about 10-20 PRVs a year. We did one just yesterday.

9. Buck_wheat

Buck_wheat LawnSite Senior Member

I understand the dynamics of gravity as it relates to flow... but 165 PSI at the POC?

I may be wrong on this, but I call bull$it on that. I've seen that type of pressure in hydrants, commercial fire systems in multi story buildings, agricultural, but a home owner?

I'm hopeful somebody can to explain to me where 165 psi comes from at the POC and not do some damage to a residential irrigation installation, never mind the 185 psi at the heads on the bottom of the hill.

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

As I mentioned, our 120-185 psi is static. SOP here. Don't call bull$hit just because you haven't seen it.