leak job- made a boo boo

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by mitchgo, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Buck_wheat

Buck_wheat LawnSite Senior Member

That explains it... we are as like a carpenters dream down here, flat as a board and easy to.... You deal quite a bit with elevation then, I don't. Hence the PRV's. Just goes to show you everybodies norms are different.

Glad I don't have to meet specs for 120-180 PSI down here.

thank you :drinkup:

2. Buck_wheat

Noted... please read my previous post. :waving:

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

A good system here will have a PRV before the meter that will regulate the sprinkler system, and a second one just past the tee for the POC, that will regulate the house.

interior shut off 4c.jpg

4. Buck_wheat

Nicely done... your work I take it?

Well it's 6:15 here, I'm going for blinker fluid and a glutton man pizza.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

the meter itself is protected in the pictured arrangement

6. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

You need a new water co. Maybe one that enforces backflow testing. There is no reason for pressures that high.
    I've seen slightly over 100 psi and it pisses me off when I need a prv.

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Not mine, just a random photo I took at some point in time at one of our customers

Yup, meter is protected by the lower PRV, and that one can be adjusted to give allow more pressure to the system, nad then the second upper PRV will bring it back down for house water and appliances.

SOP here (standard operating procedure). When you deal with it everyday like this, you are taught to accept this as if there is nothing wrong or different about it. I'd rather have high pressure and be able to regulate it down, than to be begging for more pressure and not be able to get it. I have systems we work on that have been at 120+ psi for 10-20 years and if the system was installed properly, we find no more problems than a system at 50-60 psi. It's all in the install practices and the correct components. Put a nice green Orbit/WaterMaster valve in there, and forget it, it won't last long.

Also, our local water company is run by the city. Not a private enterprise. And if the pressure was all brought down now, we'd be in a world of hurt due to systems being designed with this pressure already in place and expected.

8. irritation

Doesn't make it right. I bet water heaters have a short life around there.

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

No, you don't understand. The high pressure is regulated down for the house, and USUALLY the system. Look at the photo I posted. There is probably 100-120 psi before the first PRV in the lower corner of the photo, before the meter. That PRV will regulate it down to water ever I may need for the system itself, the second upper PRV will again regulate it down to 40-60 psi inside the house, or what ever is needed. So inside house pressure is brought down to a manageable level. Water heaters, toilets, sink faucets, ice makers - would all be damaged by the 120+ pressure.

10. irritation

So, does the water co mandate prv's before the meter? I'm pretty sure that's a cross connection. What about cheap skate builders that omit them and the one's that quit working?