Leaking bagger on 48" walkbehind - solution?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fprintf, May 4, 2004.

1. fprintf

fprintf LawnSite Member

I have a Toro 48" ProLine fixed deck walk behind with a cloth bagger. I stored the bag hanging from the handle all winter, and now when I go back out to mow it is leaking like a seive from the top gasket.

Had anyone experienced this before and how should I reseal the bag? The gasket doesn't look misshappen, just that it is no longer fitting tightly and man it is making a mess of the mower and spitting little bits of grass all over me!

Thanks in advance!

2. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

The only thing I can think to tell you is to throw it back into the garage until fall when it's needed for leaf removal. Other than that I don't see a reason for using it at all.

3. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

much its alot better anyways heck with them baggers

4. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I think bagging is neccesary for cool season turf on small residential lawns. Buy a accelerator you will be very pleased with the results IMO.

5. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Just the opposite is true for cool season grasses. Mulching returns nitrogen and nutrients to the soil which acts as a natural fertilizer. It's warm season grasses that you have to be more concerned with bagging. Since the turf is so dense it's hard for the clippings to reach the soil surface allowing them to break down. The only time I bag grass clippings is if I'm mowing an overgrown yard.

6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I agree that mulching is good for the lawn, but with thick cool season lawns[ which mine all are], the clippings just sit on top of the turf. From the multiple comments I have read on L.S. I believe that is the general consensious, so we disagree.

7. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

To answer the guys question,
    I would make a backing plate out of metal (or wood/plastic). Use whatever you can work with to straighten the gasket. Attach it with machine screws and nuts, or zip ties.(I 'm not certain how that bagger is put together)

If it's only a little gap try a foam gasket, like weather stripping.

Best of luck to ya!

As much as it is "best to mulch" or "use doubles", sometimes there is a lot of grass growth in a weeks time, and on smaller heavily landscaped yards it makes a lot of sense to bag some if not all of the areas.

TTFN

8. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

Thats what I was thinking, try weather stripping.

9. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

DUCT TAPE!!!!:cool:

10. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

Duct tape, Eric 1 took the words right out of my mouth