Leaking echo trimmer

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Don32, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Don32

Don32 LawnSite Member

I have an echo model SRM 2501 trimmer. It has got to be at least 12 years old. Starts fine, runs fine year after year. However, it appears I have a got a leak coming from the muffler. I pulled off the muffler and entire insides are black and is wet with this black liquid. I quess gas/oil mix. Anyway, as the season goes on this liquid leaks out and runs down the unit eventually onto whatever its is sitting on. The exhaust port has alot of carbon built up. Could this be a problem as well?
    I hope this is not a dumb question but why is it leaking? Could it be a gasket of some kind or is not buring all the gas? Do I need to run a different gas oil ratio? :confused:

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

This unit can leak a couple different places. One place is the head gasket and you can tell by cleaning it and then watching for leak. The other place are the front and back crankshaft seals. The one on the starter rope can be checked by pulling the starter rope housing and the mating mechanism. The other side can be checked by pulling the clutch assembly I assume you have cleaned the exhaust ports?

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Make sure you run this unit at WOT(wide open throttle) whenever you are actively trimming with it. Also be sure you are using the proper mix ratio.

4. Don32

Don32 LawnSite Member

I have cleaned the area around the head gasket and crankshaft. These areas do not appear to be leaking. I was wondering if the gas/oil mixture is too lean or too rich which is causing it to not burn therefore leaking out the exhaust????? As you can tell I am not a mechanic so any help would be appreciated.

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

If the oil is leaking out of the muffler, then either A) You are not running it at full throttle, by running at full throttle you burn off oil and dont see it dripping out the muffler or B) You are not mixing to 50:1 ratio. Either way, this is not a big deal if the trimmer runs fine.