1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Leaking from exhaust?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by dlomb72, Jun 25, 2008.

1. dlomb72

dlomb72 LawnSite Member

I've got a cheaper 2 cycle lawnboy that leaks fuel from the exhaust when it sits unused. When I start it up, it spits the fuel for a while and then stops. What can I do to remedy this situation? If it is the carb, can I upgrade to a better carb? Please help.
  2. mopar4u

mopar4u LawnSite Member

Sounds like a needle and seat problem. Try cleaning the needle and seat area. If that doesn't work get a carb kit that includes these parts.
  3. mowermankevin

mowermankevin LawnSite Senior Member

For a $5.00 bill go buy a inline fuel cut-off and install it, I'm working on a Ryobi S/T with a (P.O.S.) Walbro that had the fuel left in it and now even after spending too many hours and a carb kit, it runs great,(I will not be defeated by a machine), if it sits overnight, the fuel leaks out, locks up the piston, and drips out the exhaust. Try the fuel cut-off first, a carb is a lot more money.
  4. Partsangel

Partsangel LawnSite Member

I like Kevins $5.00 cure, but that dosnt solve the problem. inside your carb there is a metering diaphram that should shut off the fuel when the engine is not running. The metering dia is the one with the round metal ring on it and its possible that it has become hardened over time not alowwing the needle and seat to close. the metering dia is $1.95 the complete kit is $7.00...fixing it right is Priceless.

5. dlomb72

dlomb72 LawnSite Member

any advice on where i should go to get the needling seat or the fuel cut off?
  6. dlomb72

dlomb72 LawnSite Member

sorry i meant to say where can i get the diaphragm kit?
  7. dlomb72

dlomb72 LawnSite Member

any do's and don'ts when attempting to clean the needle and seat?
  8. carriedrewdog

carriedrewdog LawnSite Member

Lawnboys don't have diaphragm carburetors, it's your needle, seat or float. It may just be trash caught between the needle & seat and you can try cleaning the seat with a q-tip. For the price of a new needle, seat and float it may be more worthwhile to just replace them. You can find a splice-in fuel cutoff valve usually at Lowes, HD or a mower shop. The 90 degree valves fit better but the straight valves will work also. The fuel line is 1/4" ID.