Leaking head - need advice

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by eZrider, Apr 26, 2007.

1. eZrider

eZrider LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

First of all I only do lawn maintenance and don't know anything about irrigation. I do not plan on doing any repairs, I would just like to be able to give my customer an intelligent answer as to what is wrong and help them find a company to repair the problem if it's not repaired by my next visit.

During my last visit in the fall I noticed the leak and notified the customer that it needed to be repaired. Well I show up last month for a spring clean-up and it is still not repaired. He told me he had been trying to get the original installer to look at it, however a month later still no fix.

The leaking head is the second highest head on the lawn and is approximately 6-8 feet higher and about 60' from the 3 valve manifold. From what I understand the line should have no pressure until the valve opens for the particular zone (I could be wrong). The manifold box does not have a shut off valve that I can find. There are two green 8" covers near the main water valve, one that contains nothing :confused: and one with a ball valve. I shut off the ball valve and left it off for about 45 mins while I finished my lawn work and came back and it was still leaking at the same rate. It appears it is leaking directly from the top of the head around a small 3/8" brown cover with one screw. I would think with it being one of the highest heads the water would drain back down when no pressure is in the line.

Any idea what the problem could be? Bad head, bad valve?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

what kind of head?
    is there a check valve in it.
    ie does it leak when it is running or shut off?

I suggest telling the customer is a connection fitting ie a half inch funny L or a busted riser...possibly damged by a large lawn mower..is it by the drive way by any chance?

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Its probably a seeping valve. The lower heads probably have check valves in them, so the water backs up to this one.

4. CAPT Stream Rotar

what kind of valves are they buddy?

5. Dirty Water

As far as heads, I'm going to say its a RB 1804 with a 12' nozzle.

6. CAPT Stream Rotar

i was thinking a pgp or mini 8

7. Dirty Water

3/8 Brown top with a single screw is a Rainbird 12' nozzle buddy.

8. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Me thinks the CAPT needs to be court martialed and demoted. This description is classic valve weep-by as it appears to be coming out the top where the sprinkler head riser contacts the top of the head. The screw is probaly the radius breakup. If there was something broken below the sprinkler head water would be leaking around the outside of the sprinkler body... NOT up the inside of the sprinkler riser and out the nozzle in a retracted state.

9. eZrider

eZrider LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Sorry I guess I should have taken a few pics of the problem. I can't remember the brand name and I'm not familiar with the different types of heads. The best I can recall it is similar to the pic below if that helps any.

It is installed next to a tree ring with concrete curbing. I don't think my mower has ever come in contact with the head as I am very careful to stay away from the curbing with fear of damaging the concrete.

pop-up.jpg

10. Dirty Water

I win!

It Guy 1 : Rotard 0