Leaking hydro pump seal

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BZB_Helpers, Mar 26, 2008.

1. BZB_Helpers

BZB_Helpers LawnSite Member

I got a 04 exmark viking with a leaking seal/gasket on one of the hydro pumps. Its leaking where the main body joins the head part with all the hose connections. It never leaked before until I saw it today before I started it up. Is there a user replaceable gasket/seal? Exmark sells an "overhaul seal kit" is this what I need to fix this leak. If I take the head off the pump body, will any parts jump out?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If this is a Hydro-Gear pump I don't believe you want to open it up, It could be fun getting it back together.

3. BZB_Helpers

yeah it has hydro-gear BDP-10A pumps

4. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

just pull it off and get a new one but keep the old one if they dont require a core. i know we do. i rebuild them all the time but have been doing it for a long time. and it will give you something to do in the off season. your exmark dealer has the seal kits

5. BZB_Helpers

Thanks guys, I found there is an oring seal between the housing and the head. From the pictures I've viewed, it doesnt look hard, im going to try and replace the seal. Unless you guys think it wont blowup later in the season. Right now, the seal leaked for 4 months while the mower was off, when I stated it up no additional fluid came out.

6. BZB_Helpers

Anyone know how much to torque the four head bolts to?

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The pistons are spring loaded in the rotor, Once the end cap is removed the pistons push the rotor out of the housing. If the rotor is allowed to protrude too far out of the housing the pistons will extend out of the rotor bores too far and could cause them to bind up during re-assembly, If force is applied re-inserting the rotor back into the housing while the pistons are bound up could damage the rotor and pistons.

Watch for moving parts when you remove that end cap !

I don't know about the torque, I just snug them down in a criss-cross pattern then pull them tight. But, Being in the biz I know when to stop.

Good Luck