Leaking hydro pumps

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by exmarkdude, Mar 23, 2003.

1. exmarkdude

exmarkdude LawnSite Member

While I was doing regular maintenance on our three exmark hp 52's, I noticed that they are leaking from the top of the pumps located under the seat. Can you please tell me if there are any service bulletins. Two of the three are still under warranty. Also while I have your attention, why do the gas shocks that control the steering go out about twice a year? The dealer says this is not a warranty item. This is getting expensive at 27.50 a shock. We are putting about 600-700 hours on each machine per season. Models were new in 2000, 2001, 2002.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

exmarkdude,

I suggest you take it into your dealer and have him look at it. It is really hard to diagnosis the problem with out seeing it. Sounds like a head gasket. A dealer can put these in no problem.

We really never had any type of service bulletin on the hydro pump. We do know how they leak. First it could be pump issue the gasket could have be installed wrong (torque, bad gasket, bad surface....) which can happen. Then what can happen is over heating (dirt, grass packed around pump, not keeping oil level up, filter not changed.....) this causes the gasket to let loose. Also pressure spikes erratic driving or improper use (jumping curbs, towing with out releasing dump valves, towing too heavy of loads….)

The dampers are one that is hard to figure out. Some people have problems and some don’t. I would like for you to contact me on this fred.fugett@exmark.com or 402-223-6270. We made a change to them last year.

Thanks, Fred.