Leaking Lazer fuel caps

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by LeoS818, Sep 22, 2002.

1. LeoS818

LeoS818 LawnSite Member

We have a problem with our gas caps leaking on our new lazers. We leave the fuel several inches down. All four of them get used on very hilly places. I have even noticed other lazers around town with the same thing.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Leo,

We've heard this a couple of times this past year. In some cases it was a matter of the fuel level being too high in the tank. In others the cap can be an issue either at the vent or at the mating surface between the cap and the tank. You may want to have you dealer take a look at it and see what he/she thinks.

Fuel spillage can be dangerous and really shouldn't be taken lightly but you may want to swap caps out between units to see if the problem follows the mower or if it follows the cap but do get it looked at by a qualified dealer.

Thanks

Terry

3. Hookset

Hookset LawnSite Member

Mine's been looked at, replaced the cap and the tank and it still leaks when unlevel. The cap design could be the culprit. You guys need to get on the ball with this matter ASAP. I would hate to see a good company with a law suit againist them for someone getting blown up. The safe fill level on these tanks should be well below full.

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hookset,

We hear you guys. Engineering has been looking into alternatives.

Thanks again for the feedback. That's what helps us improve.

Terry

5. LeoS818

LeoS818 LawnSite Member

We leave the fuel about 2 inches below the bottom of the neck. As i said we mow some very hilly places. And i do think they are leaking out the vent.

6. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

I know what you are talking about.
    My lazer leaks out of the vent all the time if it's a little bumpy.
    I make sure it's well below the neck. I'm afraid it will get on my tires.

7. greco

greco LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Gas leaks out the vents of my Lazer also.
    What is the correct level when filling up? 1/4" from the bottom would be a safe quantity, but I would have to refuel every 15 min.
    Yes...the caps do leak out the vent holes, not only is this unsafe, but last I heard gas dripping on tires can do some real damage to lawns. Hopefully something gets done about this quickly..my new lazer HP's light gray gas tanks look terrible.