Leaking OHV Cover?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rvsuper, Sep 21, 2003.

1. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

I just noticed this today. There is a mix of oil and gas leaking out of the OHV cover on my Kohler Command 12.5. Right next to the spark plug. I have a picture. If anyone could tell me what to do about this it would be appreciated.

ohv 002.jpg

2. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

Nobody?:(

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

could just be a bad valve cover gasket. cant tell from the picture.

4. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

I just noticed it today, I will run it tomorrow morning and see what it does. Is replacing the gasket on that easy to do? What else could be wrong?

5. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Are you sure it's coming from the OHV cover? I had a similar problem with a 17 Kawi and thought it was coming from there. It turned out that it was blowing out the oil/gas breather and dripping down to the OHV cover. Just a thought.

6. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

If it is a mix of oil and gas coming from a cover, you have a problem. Check for gas in oil, if there is none, you could have a leaky valve cover gasket which is not hard to change. When you have the cover off check the groove that the gasket goes in on the cover and make sure that it is not broke somewhere around the edge.

7. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

Reseal the valve cover and see if that takes care of it. There is no gasket, they use silicone sealant on that area.

8. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

What kind of silicon sealant? The stuff at hardware stores?

9. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

Permatex Ultra Black works the best, I've found. It really holds up well to heat and oil.

10. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

What about Loctite instant gasket?