Leaking oil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FatherandSon, Sep 9, 2002.

1. FatherandSon

FatherandSon LawnSite Member

My Son and I have 2 Scags, And my 52' Scag with a Kohler 25 hp uses like 1 quart in 3 hours why is this? And what kind of oil do you recommend? Please let me know.Thanks so much

2. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Dont have experience with Scag, but exmark recommends 30 W oil. Not a multi grade like 10W-30, because those burn off more quickly. Your topic was leaking, not burning, but which is it really doing? do you see spots in the drive?

3. Actually Kohler recommends 30wt oil.

I am courious to the same questions.

Does it blow smoke? If you stand in the exaust path do your eyes burn?

4. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

I think we need more information. Like earlier, are there oil spots, smoking or any other obvious problem?

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Hopefully you have been watching the dipstick no matter what is causing the issue and keeping the motor full of oil. Nothing will ruin an engine quicker then lack of oil. Not trying to be smart but didn't you get any manuals with the mower?

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

According to the 25 hp Kohler Command manual that came with my engine the proper oils are:

0 to 100+ degrees....................10w30
    32 to 0 degrees and below........5w30 or 5w20

25hp Kohler Command engines come with hydraulic lifters and the use of straight weight oil is not recommended.

I use Mobil1 10w30 in my Kohler.

7. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

If you're really losing that much oil, I don't think you can possibly be burning it. Even if you did, you'd be fouling plugs like crazy and having problem trying to keep the motor running. You must be losing it through a seal. Please give us more information.......
    Pete

8. digger1

digger1 LawnSite Member

i know this is a stupid question.....did you check your drain plug?? give the mower a thorough degreasing job. any oil leaks should be easily spotted if it is a bad seal. ditto on the spark plug fouling and smoking muffler. mount or put a piece of metal where the muffler discharges and check to see how fast it gets black colored if the problem is internal.