Leaking or Evaporation?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Ohmylord, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Ohmylord

Ohmylord LawnSite Member

I just completed a pond/waterfall in my back yard (pictures to come). The total length is about 20' long and the pond is a max of 10' x 6', 3' deep. I think I fixed all of the leaks but I'm still losing about 1" of water a day. It has been hot here in KC, but I'm not sure how to tell if that is normal or I have a leak somewhere. I've pulled up rocks on both sides and don't see any water on the liner.

Think it is still leaking, or will it evaporate that much? The daytime temperature has been in the low 90's.

2. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

id say 4-6" a week is average. Maybe a little more with hotter weather and if you have a lot of splashing. First off id say 1" is a little mor than norm, try shutting off the pump for 24 hours and see if you lose the same amount, if you do then the stream/falls are fine. then i would let it leak down a bit and see if the rate at which you lose water is the same. each day with the falls off.

3. Mancinioldhorse

Mancinioldhorse LawnSite Member

Do you have it on a timer? If not I would invest in one. One inch a day in that heat is pretty normal if you let it run all nite too. Not to mention the wear and tear on the pump.

One of the things I do is I run 2 electrical lines and make one a triplegang outlet. I can plug in the pump with a timer on the one line..then I have the triplegang outlets for low voltage lighting and whatever else the consumer wants to plug in out there.

4. kh5150

kh5150 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

That is very normal..I will presume it is in direct sunlight ? Try adding some shrubs-trees or something to provide afternoon shade to the pond when evaporation is at its highest point with direct sunlight.

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Does anyone use a floatswitch and a valve to keep their pond level constant?

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

1" or more is very normal for a pond of that size,you need what JonHolland says above.It automaticly adds water to the pond when it gets below a certain level.

7. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, Jon I've used them before. Actually works quite well