Leaking PGP's

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by MEXANDME, May 19, 2012.

MEXANDME LawnSite Senior Member

I have a new customer with 16 of 24 PGP's leaking badly past the wiper seal. The customer is on city water so the leaks impact both his water bill and head performance.

The heads are at least 7 years old. The soil is "gumbo".....very difficult to dig in.

The question is this. Has Hunter made a significant enough improvement in the wiper seal in the past 7 years to the point that I can just change out the guts or should I replace them all with the RB 5004's that I usually use?

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Just replace the seal dude. Ewing #11092534 is the kit you need, and has the spring seat and wiper seal.
  3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

there was a PGP problem in the mid-late 2000's with leakers. I just had to replace half a dozen in a system I installed
  4. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

It also could be that there is not enough pressure on the system to seal the risers when they pop up.
  5. Wet_Boots

I think the caps might be warping - if you happen to mold some stress into a part, it might have an effect down the road - I first saw this on a broken plastic part long ago, where all the broken parts didn't come close to fitting back together
  6. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

Rain Bird makes a 5004 internal that will screw right into the PGP case.... That would be the fastest way to solve the problem and get a performance upgrade at the same time!
  7. mrsteve

mrsteve LawnSite Member

Depends if it's on your dime or not. I would gut it, then you have new everything. You can use the PGP blue nozzles or the Ultra which IMO work better. Time wise it just doesn't make sense to handle the heads too much. I still have systems with the Weathermatic 35P spray which had terrible seals. This system has hundreds of them, it's a crime how much water that put down the drain on start up. Too many to do all at once $$$, so I take the worst ones out and put in a PRS SAM Rain Bird.
  8. mrsteve

mrsteve LawnSite Member

I'm new to Rain Bird rotors, but have been thinking about that. Does that one have a check valve that will work in the PGP body?
  9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I would think a 5000 SAM (low-drain-check) head would fit a PGP body. The 5000 series also retros into the great old "T-Bird" rotors.
  10. Wet_Boots

Rainbird ought to make a retrofit into the old Toro bodies, especially since it looks like every single sprinkler using the "standard Toro body" is gone for good, stream rotor excepted.