Leaking Pond at skimmer.

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by drsogr, Feb 20, 2006.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

This pond has been a nightmare. This is my first pond, I figured if I read up on ponds it would be enough to get me through my first pond. The skimmer had been leaking where it meets up to the liner from day one.

The first time I put it together I used no silicone - Leaked.

The second time I put it together I used silicone - Leaked

The third time I put it together I siliconed it like crazy - Leaked

The 4th time I put it together I siliconed it, and I made a gasket for each side of the liner - Leaked

Now what?

I think all my problems began with using an inferior liner. The customer had a liner that he wanted to use, so we used it. The package said it had a 25 year warranty. I am also matching this up to a Savio skimmer, which does not include a gasket. It is the cs0000 model I beleive.

Looking at the 2 liners there is a considerable difference in thickness. The liner I have is more rubbery and less plastic like. It is at least twice the thickness.

Do I need to replace the liner? If so where do I seam it, right beneath the waterfall?

2. stoneseller

stoneseller LawnSite Member
    from MD Z7

The face plate on the Savio Skimmer I installed made a very good seal. Did you install it correctly?

3. drsogr

I don't know how you could install it incorrectly. That is why I think the liner may be the problem. The liner really is your only gasket.

4. stoneseller

from MD Z7

IIRC, I did not use any type of sealant at all. Just removed the faceplate, made sure the liner & both front & back of faceplate were clean, set liner nice & flat, then reinstalled faceplate. Then I cut a hole out of the liner. Worked great

5. drsogr

Well the liner I was using was about a 1/3 of the thickness of a typical liner. It was some crap the homeowner bought at Sams Club. I am guessing that is what the problem is. The liner I had has no give to it, and doesn't allow for a good seal like a typical liner.

6. bbriggs

bbriggs LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Probably a PVC liner, but I could be wrong. Silicone is not the best choice of sealants for ponds, even the ones intended for immersion. If it bonds at all it is likely a temporary bond. Seen a lot of good EPDM liners fall right off skimmers using only silicone. Polyurethane adhesive/sealants are better, like the marine versions made by 3M or Sikaflex. The versions available at lumberyards intended for roofing, I've heard, work satisfactorily. I use 3M 5200, takes days to cure but I don't always wait for it to even skin over before filling. Strong stuff, but I've not used it on PVC liners. Lightly sanding the liner might give it more tooth (and clean off residue)?

7. drsogr

Thanks for your input...it is a pvc liner. Which seams to be my problem. If I would have used the rubber liner that is intended for it, I think I would have not had any problems. I was comparing the two liners and the good liner is about 2.5 thicker than the cheap junk we used. I think I need to change out the liner, and all of my problems would go away...but that might be a mess to do. I might try and look for the stuff that you are talking about. The silicone just peels right off, it never really bonds very well.

8. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

are you 100% shire thats where its leaking

9. drsogr

Yea I am.....I dug out behind the skimmer and the water was trickling around the side of the skimmer through the sand. I lifted up the liner and it is just soaked in that area. I already checked to make sure that there were no leaks in the liner in that area.

10. stoneseller

from MD Z7

Have you considered cutting a gasket out of regular EPDM? It sound like your liner is too thin to seal well between the 2 halves of the skimmer weir.