leaking radiator hoses

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by lazer 46, Oct 7, 2002.

1. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

My 2 year old 27hp Kawi Lazer has been weeping antifreeze from the radiator hoses since new. Last week I had my dealer install 2 new hoses. After running it a few hours I noticed both hoses had a small stream of antifreeze running down them. I was able to tighten both clamps a half turn. End of problem? NO! I just got done mowing my own lawn and after an hour there is the stream of antifreeze running down one of the hoses. Can't get the clamp any tighter. Is it possible the radiator connection is not as round as the hose and thus not a good fit? Help me out on this.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Lazer 46,

Depending upon the type of clamp they used when the replaced the hose and the clamp could be a possible cause so we won't rule out the hose clamp just yet. Take a close look at the leak when it's occurring. Pay particular attention to the neck where it is brazed to the radiator. The neck is only about an inch loner but you may be able to loosen the hose clamp, slide the hose out slightly and retighten. This may leave you enough room to see if the neck is leaking at the joint. Also look farther up the line. Is there any moisture or residue ahead of the neck? Pay particular attention to the seam where the tank and the cooling fins join as well as look at the radiator cap.

E-mail me at terry.eckert@exmark.com with your dealer name/location and I'll make sure he knows what to look for.

Thanks

Terry