Leaking Rain bird DVF's

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by EverflowIrrigation, Jun 5, 2012.

1. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I have a feeling this guy is going to push another valve.

2. EverflowIrrigation

EverflowIrrigation LawnSite Member

I usually buy them by the case, sometimes 2or 3 cases at a time. It sounds like not many other people having the issue. We usually tighten them hand tight, then about 1/2 turn with channel locks teflon tape and teflon paste. We haven't been using teflon paste for the past few months since the problem is realized. It sounds like we either made mistakes in the way we installed them, or got a bad batch. Either way I appreciate the input. sounds like it is either our issue or a very isolated batch... In the meantime time to review installation procedures and valve choices

3. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

For our installs our Poc's we convert from brass poc to sched 80 mipts . For a while there we were blowing all kind of cracked sched 80 mipts. I came to the conclusion we were over tightening

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

W*M has nothing in plastic that goes back 40 years. Richdel got there first. Hydro-Rain was around, but their valve bodies are subject to having cracks.

5. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed. Sometimes I use both on plastic to plastic, but only wrap the tape a couple of times, and use goop to fill the rest of the threads.

7. Same way I've done it as well for years and years. Can't recall ever having a split valve. Towards the end though it seems most of the valves I ran into were glued in. At first glued in valves bugged the heck out of me but I got to the point where they made sense in a typical residential system. Didn't affect the system and sped up installations plus never had to worry about leaking at the thread.

8. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Valves are ABS and mfgs don't recommend the use of paste. here is an interesting fun fact about paste/ABS use. swimming pool skimmers are ABS and the threaded 2 in ports are straight sided rather than tapered. a contractor i worked for called me to ask if i was using paste as they were jacking 30 plus skimmers their gvys had plumbed using paste to seal the test loop ports. i said no, the install instructions say tape or ABS compatible products only. his reply was where'd you read that!
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

HUH? Irritrol valves either UV resistant PVC or glass-reinforced nylon (100 & 700 series)

10. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

i stand corrected kiril, i just called my wholesaler and he looked up the specs on a number of valves. eye b wrong. my story of the skimmers is correct though.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    they did say TEFLON PASTE is recommended PIPE DOPE is not

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012