Leaking Rain bird DVF's

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by EverflowIrrigation, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Richdel became players because their valve had a PVC body, which was difficult to manufacture, because molten PVC is destructive of conventional steel molds. Before the R204, they tried an ABS body with male threads.

Toro valves were ABS at first, which is why you saw the stainless-steel shells around the threaded female ends of all their early designs.

2. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

How do you explain the slip version of the valves then?

My understanding is that the RB DVF/ ASVF series & PGA series are made of PVC. The PEB series are made of glass-filled nylon.

I'll assume that any of the valves that come in a slip x slip configuration from Hunter are PVC too.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I think, by now, Jim has realized his mistake. ;)

4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

We according to boots i'm not entirely wrong. i am man enough to admit when i am wrong though, i'm not gonna kick and scream until this turns into a mess. notice also that i didn't call kiril names and addressed him directly. there is just as much tact involved in being wrong as there is in being right.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Nylon is a lot easier to mold than PVC, so that became an obvious choice for valves with female-threaded inlets, even if it meant higher material costs.

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Which makes you a better man than most. :)

7. spammeplez

spammeplez LawnSite Member

Were these manufactured in Mexico around May - July of 2011? Ive had a high failure rate with these dvf-100 as well.

Almost exact same situation as you minus the volume.

8. R&S Lawn Care

R&S Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Leaking valve
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

My supplier hasn't been able to get PGAs for a month or more.. says they had some kind of a defect they are working on. SO now he's stocking DVFs when he didn't before. No problem with any I've installed so far.