leaks and stuff n fluff

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by mitchgo, Jul 12, 2013.

1. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Mitch, you seem to be following your critical path well. Meter measurements to compare usage.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

Earn those stripes! YEAH! :wall
  3. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

This system had a leak.. I found a Cracked Valve..

WTF plumbing!

4. mitchgo

Replacing some valves for the city.. Following there specs.. They want Slip fixes so they can easily replace the valves if need be. Double Jumbo box

I replaced 5 of them- took me 3 days.. Maybe the hot ladies walking by were slowing me down... Maybe

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I think the first repair could've been done with less time and material, if sch 80 unions were at hand, but then you are making less money, so forget I said anything payup

Was the Toro valve cracked, or just the fitting threaded into it?
  6. mitchgo

It was the cracked toro valve.

I gave her the option if just quickly putting in a new valve or replumbing this horrendous thing with new valves . I was pushing for a replacement mainly because I didn't want this thing breaking like next year and them her blaming me .

All in all I is think the parts I used to replumb are fairly minimal and much more straight forward then before
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

So that was a male-end valve? The water pattern is like on cracked male threads.

I'm thinking excavation time, too, but soil conditions make a difference in figuring a parts/labor balance. My tendency would be to dig less, and employ a union or two.

Markup on sch 80 unions is verry nize payup
  8. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

i think this is the major difference in the service industry. i try to instill in my techs to always dig a little more. mostly to make repairs easier and to have more room to work, but also to may be uncover a fitting just a little bit further down that would make the repair easier and stronger (ie. using an elbow instead of a slip fix)
  9. mitchgo

I agree with this . Way easier to dig a little more when you can
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. mitchgo

In a lot of situations I would do this . It's quick easy cheap for the client and saves me time because I never have time .

The plumbing was too bad for me to go meh oh well , particularly where the ml continues on after this manifold the pipe is so bent into the socket . It went to a manual drain so I removed it
    Posted via Mobile Device