1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by kcrossley, Mar 15, 2009.

1. kcrossley

kcrossley LawnSite Member

What's the easiest way to determine if my irrigation system has a leak?
  2. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Your Water Meter should have a leak detector in the middle ( A Small dial that spins when water is being used. The device is fairly sensitive )

The Best way to check .
    Extremely recommended to have 2 people

If you have winterized ( Blown compressed air though out the system) Make sure you turn on your system and cycle through all the zones several times.

After this.. Have one go to the water meter ( Make sure you are not using any water in the house. Turn off the irrigation. Verify that the meter is not moving by giving it at least a 1-2 min stare down. After this quickly turn on your irrigation.

If the meter bumps or you can actually here water rush through you obviously have a leak. But if it doesn't bump at all then you don't have a leak.

TRILAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

A little more information would be helpful. Why do you think you have a leak?

Give us a little history about your system. Do you have a pump? Municipal water supply? Master Valve?
  4. Ditto....
    My exact technique as well. I have though had bump leaks that didn't always register on the meter. I'm not sure what the amount is but I have been told by the city that in some cases a certain amount of flow has to occur for the meter to register it.
  5. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

That is true. It depends on the size and style of the meter to how much or little the meter will move.
    On 3/4" and 1" I give about a min. On bigger meters I try to have the water shut off for a longer period of time.

I guess I feel if the meter didn't register anything after a certain amount of time the leak isn't worth the fix (especially if you can't find it) until it got bigger. Unless of course there is a seeping valve and you can see water at the last head. I Don't know if I have come across that situation though and not see the meter move.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  6. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

Many possibilities, call a Pro
  7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Low drainage will not cause the spinner to move, but it sure as hell can waste a ton of water!
  8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Second that ..... SAM
  9. kcrossley

kcrossley LawnSite Member

I agree. My irrigation company is going to check it when they restart the system this spring.