Leaky 3" Corrugatted connection

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Dogowner, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Dogowner

Dogowner LawnSite Member

Help !!! I just finished installing piping for French Drain and decided to test it for leaks where it connects to drain which eventually leads to sidewalk. About another 30 feet from this connector to street. Well sure enough I found a leak even though I duct taped the two 3" corrugated pipes together. Even tried a little silicon, but it was so messy with the soil that I don't think it helped.

So my question is what other type of connector can I try to use to connect this 3" y to the flex piping? Or should I just try spreading silicon inside the tubes and duct tape again?

I tested the other two connectors you see in the photo and water is not leaking out of them. Just the connection circled in Red. 2nd photo is a coupling which I'm not sure if it will provide a better seal. You guys tell me.

First time with french drain so is a small leak like this normal ? When the water really starts to flow through entire french drain during winter, will this small amount of leakage really matter? If it has sufficient volume then will it leak worse or just a small amount like it is now?

FYI I used 3" solid wall (with perforations) on rest of french drain, this area had existing corrugate and that is why I had to use corrguated. I like the seal of solid wall alot better !

Thanks for any advice !!!

corrugated coupling.jpg
  2. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Where is the gravel?

Anything leaking from the pipe should travel through the gravel to the
    street if you dug the trench correctly.
  3. Dogowner

Dogowner LawnSite Member

CoffeCraver to the resue..again !!
    Here is a photo of the french drain in relation to the leaky Y connector. As you can see the corrugated connector is at the end of the french drain which then connects to downspout and finally goes to the street. So there is no perforated pipe for the water to seap back into. Its closed all the way to the street from the black plastic on. That is why I'm a little worried, I want the french drain to due its job and not leak badly at this connection.

The circled area in red is where the gravel portion and perforations in pipe ends, then I ran solid wall piping since the trench runs perpendicular to slope.

I'm frantically searching internet and it looks like there might be a neoprene/rubber connector with hose clamps on either side to join 3" corrugated pipe and to the 3" Y corrugated Connector. Any experience with these?
    Thanks !!

french drain to downspout connection.jpg
  4. north in south

north in south LawnSite Member

I have used exterior chauking in the joints with duct tape. Exterior liquid nails, the stuff is water proof and flexible.
  5. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

The Y connection does it have pipe attached to both ends?
  6. stxkyboy

stxkyboy LawnSite Member

How does one make a french drain with solid wall pipe? :dizzy:
  7. Dogowner

Dogowner LawnSite Member

Yes the Y connector has connections at both ends. I just picked up some liquid nails for tub surrounds (says ok for plastics on tube) so I'm going to try that tonight and let it sit overnight.

Styxboy....the french drain runs about 60 ft prior to this connection with perforated pipe and gravel. Since the piping you see in the picture isn't at a slope or in the effected area, I ran solid wall pipe so that the water wouldn't seep into the ground unneccessarily. I'll post more pics when I fix this damn leak and show what I've done.

I hope this liquid nails works, because I don't want to have to dig this up later if it turns out to be a major leak !!
  8. Dwan

Dwan LawnSite Member

That style of pipe was never ment to be water tight. You could fill the ditch to the top of the pipe with wash rock and drill some 1/2" holes in the top, cover the w/rock with filter faberic and top it off with dirt. Then make sure tere are no restrictions down the line and you would be ok.
  9. Dogowner

Dogowner LawnSite Member

I think maybe my photo is misleading. I've added a little clarification to the photo. The water is running from the top of the picture to the bottom, then it drains to the street which is like 40 ft away. The black y connector is solid 3" flex corrugated (no holes) and then flows again through 3" non perf corrugated to curb.

So are you saying that you'll never get a completed sealed effect (at connection points) with the flexible corrugated pipe? Makes sense as it just doesn't snap together like the solid wall pipe I used in the rest of the system. I'm new to this so this is my first experience with this material.

Basically a small amount of leakage (at connections) is normal then right ?

french drain to downspout connection.jpg
  10. Dwan

Dwan LawnSite Member

Right. I install that stuff all the time and it is not meant to seal, Unless the system plugs up down stream you will be ok. If you are really worried about that joint then pore a bag of cement around it.
    Is the stand pipe for a downspout? or a clean out? Which ever make sure there is no seal on it so if you do get excessive water flow it has a way to escape to the surface. The rubber coupler you are looking for is called a "no-hub" connector but was not designed to work with flex pipe.