Leaky carb on NEW RedMax CHT2200

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

So I'm getting fuel leaking out of this carb on these hedge clippers.

I can't have that!

These are new. One tank through this set. Then a few minutes on another tank.
    So what gives here?

Something the dealer didn't do to this set?
    Something wrong with the carb?
    Something wrong with the fuel cap?
    (I'm new to RedMax, they vent through the cap right?)

Trying to get an idea of what this might be so I know if I need to return them to the dealer or if it's something I can take care of easy.

Also, for those of you that have these in particular... what are your proven methods of caring for their blades and gearbox, and so forth?
  2. Envy Lawn Service

Hello? Anybody there?
  3. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

um... well it would help if you knew where it was leaking from... i have had gas leak from carb overflows when there is a tiny bit of debri in a jet not allowing the needle to go down all the way on my mower... if revving it up doesnt dislodge it, i just pull apart the carb and spray in every hole i can find.. always works.. other than that, all i can think of is a bad gasket, but that is way less common.
  4. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

i suggest lubing the fittings at least every 20 hrs. You can spray the blades w/ wd-40 a few times daily if necessary. I haven't experienced any fueld leaking problems w/ my pairs of redmax (only w/ tanaka vented caps both pairs). As far as quality unit, redmax is better than tanaka which is better than echo (when comparing similar models). good luck w/ them, I think you'll enjoy their power, even though they weigh a tad more than the competitors models.
  5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Did you check and make sure the insulator block is tight and seating properly? I have seen that in several instances.
  6. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

almost 8000 post and you cant tell where a fuel leak is.
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Good lord guys...

I already said it was leaking out of the carb.
    To be more specific, it's flowing out of the carb, into the airbox, and dripping off the airbox.

My issue is that I am brand new to RedMax basically and I have zero experience with their type of carbs. Stihl uses Stihl spec ZAMA carbs, and while Echo uses Walbro carbs, the Walbro's RedMax uses are again totally different.

So I am back to square one and wanted to see if this was something I could remedy easily myself, or something I needed to drop off for warranty repair?

I'm not incapable... just in the dark being new to the brand.
  8. Envy Lawn Service

So the blades are not nit-picky about lube then? Personally, I am thinking of using the Fluid Film for that. Primarily because I trim a lot of things I consider to be in the pine family. Crap that gums on the blades. I already need to clean them up because of that... and the Fluid Film should help with that. I like the Fluid Film for lot's of applications. I just haven't been "nuts" over the anti-rust properties of it on other steels.

As far as the grease, I use a premium red grease in other things.
    So I guess that would be OK in there too?
    The manual just says to pump grease in there... and that's it... LOL.

RedMax really doesn't seem to 'recommend' anything but RedMax mix oil.