Leaky Drain Plug

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by aazpeters, Oct 9, 2006.

1. aazpeters

aazpeters LawnSite Member

I recently changed the oil on my 25 kohler. I just purchased this mower. The drain plug is leaking slowly now. Is there anything I should be using like tape or a sealant when re installing it?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hello,
    Make sure the plug is not cross threaded.
    If you are still having problems with your drain plug I would unscrew it and make sure you do not have any dirt on the threads that would cause a small leak. If that is not the problem then silicon tape will work on the threads to create a seal.
    Thanks,
    Brian

3. aazpeters

Thanks for the response Brian. I did try the tape with which did not work. I picked up some RTV today and will try that.

4. aazpeters

did you mean teflon tape?

5. eXmark

Your right , Teflon tape.

6. aazpeters

tried teflon sealant and teflon tape again. its still leaking slowly. do you think i should jb weld it on?

7. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Is your drain plug supposed to have a washer on it? could be you lost it in the old oil when you removed the drain plug. try puttig a copper washer on your drain plug. also check for cracks around the drain plug hole.

8. aazpeters

no, its a kohler. they use 3/8 npt fittings. (iron pipe fittings) it doesn't even have a flange on it.

9. eXmark

Boy, I don't know? Can you have your dealer take a quick look at it?

10. aazpeters

i guess i am going to have to. my dealers quick look usually costs me about 100 bucks.....here we go again.

Thanks