leaky gas tank

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by seasonal services, Mar 24, 2005.

1. seasonal services

seasonal services LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I have a 1991 f-150, it has front and rear tanks that both leak. The front has been patched before i just got the truck as a spare and dont want to put alot of money into it. I was wondering if you recommend just trying to patch the tank, if so what brand and how to do. Or if i should just replace one of the tanks and not use the other. And lastly if i do replace should i go to the junk yard or just buy new, and how much would a new one cost. any help is appreciated

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

You can get a two-part mix made just for patching gas tanks at the auto parts store. Just make sure the area is as clean as you can get it before putting the patching mixture. As far as brand names I can not think of any off hand but use on that says it is made for gas tanks.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah it's like 3 dollars, I used it to plug a leak on my thunderbird and that stuff works awesome. Wipe with rag, mix putty with fingers, stick it in there. I let it sit for a day before I filled it thou I think you can almost use immediately.
    Oh, one thing - No fuel leaks at time of repair - My tank wouldn't leak below 1/4 tank :)