leaky hydro pump

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by willietd2, Jul 31, 2008.

1. willietd2

willietd2 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

i have a turf tracer 48 with a leaking pump on the right side.cant quite tell where the leak is coming from yet but was wondering can these pumps be rebuilt and if so how hard are they to rebuild.the leak is very minor,hardly using very little oil. thanks

2. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

Get ya some spray carb cleaner and ****** the pump off. It could be coming from under the charge pump, ( the diamond shaped cap with two bolts holding it on ) just tighten the bolts. If the lines are leaking try snugging them up.
    Yes the pump can be rebuilt, it is pretty simple, no special tools. Ya gotta pay attention to cleanliness, especially when ya take the hoses off. Spray all the connections with cleaner and wipe/blow ALL the dirt away. Youll need to get new O-rings for the hoses, and a seal kit for the pump.
    Hydro-Gear has a website with a good breakdown.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Did you ever put a seal kit in...guess the bearing would need to be replaced also since that is likely the cause of the leak?

4. BigFish

If yer askin, did I ever put a seal kit in, then the answer is yes. The BDP type pumps are VERY simple units. not much to rebuild. As I said, ya gotta pay attention to cleanliness, and be sure and put the charge pump ball and spring in right.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

And what about the bearings....mine had noisy bearings when seals started to leak.

6. BigFish

What about the bearings??? If the ball brng is noisy, it needs to be replaced....if the sleeve brng is worn yer S.O.L.. If the shaft is worn where the seal rides, well it needs replaced and like that.