Leaky Pond, What To Do?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by EagleLandscape, Nov 19, 2007.

1. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

I have a commercial customer of mine that built this new building roughly 3-4 years ago. I tried and tried to convince them to let me do the install on landscape/irrigation, but no such luck.

Now they are paying for it, the site is turning into a disaster.

To add to their frustration, their pond keeps leaking, they have to fill it up once a day, and already been through one pump due to it burning out.

I've attached a picture of the pond.

I'm guessing I have to take the whole thing apart and rebuild it to find the leak? Please advise? Thanks,

(sorry for the pic being so small, camera phone sucks)

Nov19_0001.jpg

2. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

well if it doesnt hold any water the leak is at the lowest part, if the pond holds water to a point then the leak is at that level. My quess is that there is no underlayment--

3. EagleLandscape

youre a smart man, guess it is that simple.

im sure there is a liner under there, unless the contractor was a complete MORON. it was a woman that did all the work, so we shall see. We just ended up having to get all the main and lateral drain lines redone the other week by a sub.

4. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

Does it have a waterfall? If so you need to turn the pump off before you perform the leak test to find the level of the leak in the pond. If the leak was in the waterfall liner or the plumbing (if it is outside the liner) , you would end up running all the water out of the pond and never find the leak.

Does the pond have a skimmer? Where is the pump? If the pump is at the bottom of the pond you know that either the leak is very low in the pond, or else in the falls or plumbing because they already burned out a pump do to low water.

5. LTL

LTL LawnSite Member
    from Tulsa

Being a woman should have nothing to do it.

6. EagleLandscape

So far the women I have run into at 0 for 3 in Dallas. Need someone to prove me wrong:)

7. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

i would personally like to have a woman foreman- especially in maintenance, i find them to have more attention to detail that some of my more masculine foremen

8. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

/// fill the pond up,.
    shut it off for 24 hours and see how much water you lose.
    if you lose none. then the leak is in the waterfall or plumbing.
    if you lose some, let it go for a nother 24 or 48 hours and see how much you lose.
    it will only leak to where the hole is, if the pump is off.

9. Grubbworm

Grubbworm LawnSite Member

My personal experience is that 90%+ of all leaks is in waterfall.

10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, Humble1 is smart. And you should show more respect, given that you admit to knowing very little about water features and are asking for help from those who do have experience.

Humble1 didn't say there wasn't a pond liner. Obviously, it would have one of those. What he said was that there probably wasn't UNDERLAYMENT. Underlayment is a 1/4" thick fabric that goes underneath the pond liner. And it's quite important. It doesn't necessarily prevent a water feature from leaking, by itself. But it does help prevent the pond liner from settling and slipping down on the mud. So often, in water features that don't have underlayment fabric underneath, the pond liner will slide down below the water line. This can take several months or years before it happens. But I've seen that happen time and time again.

This isn't the main reason why you install pond underlayment. But it's one of the reasons.

Here, this will help give you a better idea of what pond underlayment is;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]