1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

leaky Stihl fuel cap

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stonewall, Apr 24, 2001.

1. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

Has anybody had a problem with a leaky Stihl fuel cap? My BR 400 blowers have a tendency to build up pressure and leak fuel out the cap and drip on the concrete, grass, or whatever. I had an old Redmax blower that did the same thing. Does this mean the vent on the cap is clogged?
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You may just need a new rubber seal. I know this happens all the time, and I keep a bag of them in the kit with us. Also, after a while the caps themselves wear out, I'm always on my guys not to reef them down too tight. If it's a blower though, it IS very possible that that is what it is doing, building up pressure from sitting. It doesn't seem like it would cause gas to come out though, unless it was filled right up to the cap, or it was tilted so gas came over the top of the tank spout.

[Edited by Runner on 04-24-2001 at 12:52 AM]
  3. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I had the same problem, replaced fuel cap under warranty....no problems. Dave
  4. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

It doesn't necessarily happen when the tank is full. You know the pressure is built up because when I loosen the top, fuel spews all over the place.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It sounds like you may want to look into a vented cap. Just make sure you fing one that fits it properly. Another thing you may want to try, and as I thought about it, I realized I do it without even thinking about it, is loosening the cap slightly and slowly, and allowing the pressure to release, THEN remove the cap. I've even just loosened and retightened them occasionally on hot days. Just habit I guess.

[Edited by Runner on 04-24-2001 at 01:20 PM]
  6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

my br400 cap has a hole in it to releive pressure. try a new cap and see if it still happens
  7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Okay, I have an older Stihl trimmer with vented fuel cap. Always dumped fuel on everything. Stihl came out with a revised style cap. Was okay for a year then that one also leaked. Last fall they came out with yet another revised part number for a fuel cap, so far this one has not leaked at all (no hole in the top but vents thru a baffle around the threads) so stop by your dealer and spring the six bux for the latest version of the vented fuel cap.