Leaky Stihl...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawnmaniac883, Jan 19, 2006.

1. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Ok, I have an fs100 trimmer with the 4-mix engine. Recently, I have noticed that gas is leaking from the carb when stored vertically. Of course some might say, dont store it vertically, that isnt an option here. The leak seems to be comming from either the base of the primer bulb or the copper fuel line comming from the carb. I tried to dissassemble the unit tonight and to my surprise was not able to remove the carb on this unit :confused: . There seems to be a hard line on the bottom of the carb and I cant get access to it for removal...has anyone come across this problem with the 4-mix carbs and if not, can someone tell me how to dissassemble the friggin thing? Thanks

2. davhul

davhul LawnSite Member
    from Gray,Ga

that is a nipple on the bottom the carb. a black hose should connect onto that.(did you take the air filter base off first.)

3. davhul

davhul LawnSite Member
    from Gray,Ga

that is a nipple on the bottom the carb. a black hose should connect onto that.(did you take the air filter base off first.)

4. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

ive had problem with my FS55, they replaced the gas cap under warrenty, the thing still leaked whenever i had it on the horizontal trimmer rack on my truck and it still leaked. Have it sitting in the garage now with a tank of gas in it hoping it leaks so i can get it fixed.

5. lawnmaniac883

Is definately comming from the carb, around the primer bulb area but I am not 100% on that one. Yes, there is a black pipe/tube comming from the bottom of the carb. I had the carb taken apart as you normally would to remove it, just couldnt figure out how in the heck to get that bottom hose off.

6. lawnmaniac883

Ok, finally got around to dissasembling things again, the black hose on bottom must be for egr and nevertheless pulled right off of the nipple from the engine. It looks like the leak is comming from a little 'weep hole' on the air cleaner side of the carb. There is a little rectangular passage just under the primer bulb on that plastic block part of the carb.

This leak has completely ruined a gasket or two on the carb (air filter to carb) so I am going to pick up a rebuild kit tomorrow when I go to the dealer. Hope it will fix this issue :mad: