Leaky tire

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bob, Nov 30, 2002.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Can't seem to stop the air loss. Any ideas.

tire1.jpg

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I get this when I get crud built up on the bead and tire rim from numerous flats. What works for me is to take the tire off. Then clean the bead area real good and clean the rim real good. I then remount the tire and air it up. If that doesn't work, check for rim damage or damage to the tire bead.:)

3. Nebraska

Nebraska LawnSite Senior Member

Get them foam filled.....you'll never have to worry about a flat again. (only works for the front tires the rear would be too heavy if you foam filled them....)

4. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

If you ran it flat, you may have bent the rim. Just like how you dont drive a truck w/ a flat.
    Outside of the rim is rusted, most likely the inside bead part is as well. Take tire off, sand off rust & try again.

If you cant get it filled, stop by your dealer & pick up a new one. there not that much $.

5. lrose2

lrose2 LawnSite Member

How 'bout a tube?

6. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

just through a tube in there

7. Remo Sid

Remo Sid LawnSite Member
    from USA

A good remedy for this is to remove the tire from rim, and clean the rim with a wire brush (drill brush preferably), then wipe clean with a cloth, then paint. (cheap spray paint will do). The tire itself may need some cleaning around the bead area.( this is best scraped off), when paint is dry apply some automotive transmission fluid around the rim, and the bead of the tire. (not in excess, just enough to cover). put tire back on, and inflate.

Remo

8. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

what the heck is that white stuff oozing all over the place on this tire?? a foam job gone bad??

9. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

looks like fix a flat to me.

do as they said and break the tire and wheel down. clean it really good, look for any rust/pitted areas that may not be allowing a good tire to wheel seal.

10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

It's just a soapy water mix.