1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

leaning towards ford...

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by PTSolutions, Sep 17, 2008.

1. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

hey guys, just wanted to grab some opinions from everybody. I am planning on purchasing a new pickup by the end of the year. I have considered all of the big three and have eliminated Chevy from the running. Its not that they are a bad truck, its just that i dont think it will work out for me.

What I want:
    3/4 or 1 ton srw
    crew cab
    8' bed
    diesel
    4x4

those are the absolute must haves regardless of make, and that is a big reason i eliminated the chevy, i had a dealer tell me that it voids the warranty if you put a plow on a diesel crew cab long bed truck. and i would prefer a straight axle anyway.

I have been playing around with the ford's build a truck option and i really like the options they have. what i am worried about is the new 6.4 powerstroke and i would like to hear some feedback from current owners. Especially TXNSLighting since he has gone from dodge to GM to ford now.

08 Ford F250 Lariat 4x4
    6.4L Powerstroke
    8' bed
    Crew Cab
    18" rims
    Leather interior

and let me clarify that this truck will see alot of highway miles. It will be a personal vehicle and used for long trips, camping trips with the quads etc... for at least 3 years before it will see a plow on it.

2. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

I would look at the chevy again, I just picked up a new duramax and have a 05 powerstroke also. The chevy is getting alot better mpg then the ford so if your going to be doing alot of miles that will be a factor because the new 6.4 are suppose to suck for mpg. Also in my area chevy was about $10k cheaper then a same option ford. Both are nice so you really can't go wrong it just depends on price and what you need it for. This is the first I'm hearing that you can't put a plow on it mine is a extended cab long bed 2500hd and the dealer didn't have a problem putting a plow on it.

3. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Hey thats me! I havent got a ford yet. By i will have one by next year. IMO with the Ford truck, its a much better built truck. Every thing is sturdier, and the whole thing doesnt rattle when you hit bumps. I like my Duramax, but im not a fan of the rest of the truck. Just isnt built as solid. Dodge is a beast, but they have alota week points. But they do have the cummins! The 6.4 is a fine engine. The newer ones get pretty good fuel mileage. Alota people hear they dont, but single wheels do get good.

The one in my avatar is the one ill be getting (just in black) It will be my personal/work truck. Im 100% positive it is the right truck for me. I will also be looking for a 02 cummins as my play truck. Plannin on 800+ rear wheel hp.

But yeh the ford gets my vote! And the 6.7 cummins is getting terrible reviews...

4. PTSolutions

from OH

thanks for the replies, sorry txns, i saw your avatar pic and thought that was your new truck!

we currently have an 02 2500hd with the 6.0 vortec. the truck is good, but im not impressed with the quality of it. i know the newer ones have better interiors, but im not to crazy about the torsion bars. the dmax has the most power out of the three but imo is the least "solid" out of them.

we used to own a 94 dodge, and i really love the cummins and the fuel mileage, but pricing out a dodge put me above a ford. but then again i havent had a chance to go to dealers yet, just msrp's one the websites.

the truck is getting airbags under the rear end from the beginning just so that the springs wont be worn out by the time we start putting this thing to work.

im really concerned about the 6.4 reliability. i really dont want to have to work on that thing, the underhood space is horrible! do you really have to take the cab off to do stuff to this thing? i mean we do all our own maint/work on our trucks so this is a pretty big factor.

5. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

Yeh you gotta pull the cab off to do major repairs. From what ive been seeing, they are quite reliable. I wont be keeping mine past 100k tho. I wish that was mine in the avatar!

6. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

Underhood space is near nothing when I looked at the dealer, my sales rep that I get equip and rental from drives the new 6.4 and said he has about 20k on it and the intercooler blew at 15k. He had a 7.3 and he said it was better mpg then the 6.4 but the new one has more power and is way more comfortable. He was telling me that the mechnic's in the shop tried to do maint. on them the first time and told him to take it to ford next time because it was a nightmare, everything is so cramped together. I wish the 6.0 powerstrokes were in the 08's I love my 05 and the new diesel's are too quiet.

7. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

They are way to quiet! But yeh they are so comfortable to ride in.

8. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

9. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

You liar, that only took 3:14... ha! Our techs here can have a cab off in minutes, that guys slow.

10. PTSolutions

from OH

i just saw the new style 2500hd 4x4 crew cab, long bed, diesel at my school the other day, and it looks soo low! i think id scrape the front end on a parking curb! what the hell am i supposed to do with the plow mount?