Leaning towards w/b

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by liquidforcedude7, Jun 10, 2005.

1. liquidforcedude7

liquidforcedude7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from america

So today I used a Z on one of my yards... Im not the best driver but I didnt really tear anything up, came close though. It 1. made more work for me cause I cant do the ditch and hardly any slope so I have to use a 21" for that. And it didnt really help on the time, But it was my first time and I think that will change. I had a problem when I tried to do any minor turn with any speed. The wheel that I slowed would just skid and leave a big mark and the mower wouldnt change course at all. And the sticks would get caught on bushes and limbs and would turn it around (had some close ones with that). All in all I wasnt very impressed with it so im thinking im gona start looking at w/b's with a sulkie. How well will a belt drive pull one??

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Forget a belt. Do yourself a big favor and do hydro.

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Once you get some seat time on a ZTR these issues would no longer hold true.
    But you are the only one who knows what type of properties you'll be cutting.........

4. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

If by saying "sticks" you mean the ROPS, then I would take it off. It is there for safety but it has nearly got me killed a lot more times than me coming close to a roll over.

As far as the whole Z vs WB debate there really shouldn't be one.

Look at your properties.

If you have enough hills on your properties that you cannot do them with a Z and therefore you have to break out the 21" or trimmer more times than it is worth, then a walk behind is the best.

However, in every other situation a Z is always better. They cut faster and their horsepower is a great asset.

5. liquidforcedude7

liquidforcedude7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from america

By sticks I mean the ones you stear with, I dont know the official name for them.