learn from me...23 and falling apart

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by imalandscper, Jan 18, 2004.

1. imalandscper

imalandscper LawnSite Member

Make sure when you work you lift rightand take good care of your bodies...... I am only 23 and i have 2 herniatd discs in my back and a pinched nerve. In addition I just hard hernia sergury on 1/16/04....today is the 18 and i am so sore. All because i thought i could do so much more. So all this talk about equipment and working hard is good and fine. But do not forget about the machine that runs the whole show. Your body. Take care of it. Cause trust me, lifiting that boulder or straining yourself is not worth it. Not at all. It takes me 10 mins to get out of my chair and in to the bathroom. So take care of yourseves and have a good next season. Hope you all have good cutting.

Andy

2. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

I know what you mean....same problems for me about 10 years ago, as well as bad knees and ankles.....16 weeks of Physical Therapy for my back to avoid surgery...I'm sure there are better options now, but either way, taking care of yourself is the best option.

3. imalandscper

isn't it the worst not knowing if you are gonna be able to get out of bed in the morning? They are thinking that i need to have back surgery cuase physical therapy didn't do a thing....But that is next winter...I can only take one surgery a winter!!!

Andy

4. chipk1

chipk1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Work smarter NOT harder. Tools and Equipment are made for a reason!

5. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Same problem here. Not as bad, though. I have this nerve that shocks me all the way down the left side of my left leg down to my ankle. They did an MRI and it's a pinched nerve. The surgeon said that without surgery it should dissolve within 4 years.

I'm 34, fwiw.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

6. imalandscper

That is the kiler....i have all the tools and all the equipment but i was always in too big of a hurry to use it..... i just figured a hell i can do it just lift them boulders instead of taking the time to load up the skid steer and unload. Well the time i shoulda spent loading and unloading i am burning up now sitting in my lazy boy hurting when i should be getting everything ready for next season.

Andy

7. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i feel your pain
    i am 30 now and trying 2 keep up with 20 year olds i have messed up my back, knees and other body parts
    i now work smarter
    most of the time LOL
    good luck with the recovery

8. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

Andy,
    Sorry to hear about your back problems. I hope you recover well from surgery and be back on the job stronger than before.
    Get well soon!
    PC

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

good luck , and hope you have a speedy recovery. i said it a million times, your most important tool=your body

10. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Same here...broken back, opted for the 12 or so weeks or therapy. Rough times.

Hope things get better for you.

~Nest