learn how to remove trees

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigkyle, Mar 21, 2006.

1. bigkyle

bigkyle LawnSite Member

im just starting out and something i would like to learn is how to remove trees and such.I have no clue how to od this but i really want to learn .im thinking about going to diff. Companies and seeing if they need help but the prob is i would only be able to owrk for them a couple days a week.Would u give someone like me a chance if i told u i couldnt work every day.just looking to get an idea of what to expect.thanks
  2. kbacon3231

kbacon3231 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Learning how to remove a tree properly takes time and expierence. Go to a local Tree co. and ask if they need help. You will probaly be a groundsman for a while, but you will get your foot in the door. I was a foreman at a nationwide tree company that trimmed trees for the power company's. So every tree i trimmed was close to distribution and transmission power lines. You had to be very careful. Mine and everyones life around me depended on it. Its not an easy job but i think it was the funest.
  3. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I have always tried not to step on the tree guys toes. In this area there are many tree services and that is all they do. I figure I won't do trees and they don't do lawns. I will do small trees with no dangers close by, but it clearly states in our insurance policy that we are not covered for tree work other than pruning from the ground. The risk is high and so is the insurance. I just trade the tree work for landscaping work with a few local guys.
  4. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

Check with Terry Tree maybe. I have known a few people that worked for them. You will gain experience QUICKLY with those guys. Long hours, good money, nice equipment.
  5. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

I agree the best way to get into the tree biz would be to work for a good company.. Unlike landscaping and mowing for the most part tree work has no room for mistakes.. we will drop small trees when their is no question of danger(meaning if some how the tree was to fall in the completely opposite direction it not going to hit anything or anybody) we will also cut up already fallen trees but always watch out for limbs under pressure!!