learned alot today!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dr grass, Jun 28, 2002.

1. dr grass

dr grass Banned

i have a client that has a field behind her house that is approx. 1.5 acres. we couldnt get to it with the mowers because of the wet spring, until a week or 2 ago. i called home depot and they said they had a brushoog to rent out. like a dummy i went ahead and bid the job along with a job behind another clients house. now im not to familiar with brushogs. i went to home depot to pick it up, and it was only 3 foot wide. they guy the rented it to me said its been getting complaints about cutting like ****. i looked at the blade and said well thats prybably the reason right there. the blade was bent like boomerrang and about as rounded as the back of the blade. i took it home and poped the blade off and tried to strighten it as best i could and put a nice sharp edge on it. we took it out and OMG! it took my guy like 3 1/2 hours to cut this field. i didnt think it would take so long and should of bid the job 3 times as much. oh well ... live and learn i guess! :p

2. just payin to get educated

should be a lesson you dont forget
  3. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like you should charge Home Depot to help make up your loss.
  4. dr grass

dr grass Banned

actually, its funny. home depot knocked 10 bucks off the bill for me sharpening the blade and fixing the throttel cable! ! lol. sometimes hard work does pay off....

5. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

Wouldn't you think that the Home Depot guys would have looked at the blade after people complained?? Next time I would go to a regular rental dealer rather than some store that rents equipment as a sideline. As a general rule, rental equipment dealers look after their equipment and inspect/repair before renting again. I will think twice about renting from Home Depot. There are several rental equipment dealers closer anyway. JD
  6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

You should get your money back at Home Cheapo. I rented a slit seeded in May, the gate would not close all the way and I demanded my rental money back and got it.
  7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Now if the blade breaks or flys off with the next renter I guess you'll be held liable!

I would never attempt to repair a rental company's piece of equipment.
  8. dr grass

dr grass Banned

homer - never thought of that! just thought id trying helping them out along with myself. i guess thats what ya get for helping people out ..... a big fat lawsuit. :(
  9. dr grass

dr grass Banned

i gotta start proofreading these things b4 i send em .... lol