Learned from this one!!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by GrazerZ, Jun 7, 2005.

1. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

I learned to think outside the box a little yesterday. heres what happened.Yesterday went to set up a system for this year. There were three heads on a zone that didn't work. All of the other heads (8 rotors) worked fine. So i started to think that there was a pinch, crack, or tree choking the lateral line. I tell my guys to start digging toward the closest working head. They follow the lateral from the dead heads all the way to the closest working head and can't find where it connects to that head. we dig a little more and discover that it has its own lateral line from the valve box. I found this out by turning on another valves that wasrunning a zone on the other side of the building. the guy who put in the system was a bone head. I say that because the three hads that didn't work were on a differnt zone and om the far side of the zone that works, but he connected it to a differnert valve around the the other side of the building and about 200+ ft away from the valve box. I don't claim to be some great irrigation designer, but that was rediculous. oh, and the lateral line that we dug up was only about 6" under the soil. and the system was put in when the building was first built. You guys must see junk like this all the time. The problem around here is that there are few irrigation companies, so people don't know that they are getting robed. It taught me to think outside the box when trying to fix a problem.
  2. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

hmmm, I'm trying to picture the situtation, because I have done similar in certain situations. I have tied curb strips on both sides of the driveway to seprate valves instead of boring drive on numerous occasions, and I again w/ spray heads instead of large amounts of connecting pipe, have connected via wire extra valve spray heads that were not close together. The purpose for this is to match the amount of flow per running zone. Not something a lot of guys bother with anymore, but I was always taught to keep zones within 25% of each other for total gpm. With rotor zones, I just adjust nozzles and note in the controller that the four 90 degree heads in the front yard have double nozzles and need to be run less than a regular rotor zone, but w/ spray heads a second valve can be cheaper than pipe, and I never run live water under a drive unless I have no other choice.