learned my lesson

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kc2006, Sep 27, 2004.

1. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Well I learned my lesson today, ALWAYS MAKE CONTRACTS!

I got a call from a friend said she cleans someones house and they need some work done so i go and look, nice lady at first, needed edged, spray some weeds, plant a few bushes and mulch. Well we get half of it done the other day and go back today after buying 250 in supplies. Get there and she freaks out, says i didnt spray anything and didnt work for the 4 hours the first day and fought about everything. I said great i get screwed on the first landscape job without a contract. I had 200 in labor and 310 in supplies at the time, so i give reciepts for supplies and she says no thats not right those are fake, even though they sya where i bought them (the place she said she wanted me to buy from). So i said fine i dont want to fight anymore, give me 100 for labor and i'll just return the supplies, well she buys the bushes and gives me the 100 and now i have $75 of mulch on my truck. So I'm taking a day off and mulching my house. Didn't have anything else scheduled today anyway so no biggie. so in short, always make contracts guys. :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:
  2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

That's exactly why on landscape type jobs I require a payment of at least 1/2 before we will start the job and that includes even my best exsisting customers.
  3. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Glad to hear that you didn’t get too burned on this one. The theme of don’t do any work without a contact should be a banner across the top of each forum on Lawnsite. Contacts are not optional but mandatory!

4. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Kc2006,

If you are going to be working on a new contract use this link to get some ideas. There are about 9 contract examples there. Hope this helps.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Did you sell the stock to her at cost, or did you mark it up? I would have DEFINITELY not given it to her for what you paid. Not after spending the time talking to her about it, going to get it and delivering it. If you were just getting what you paid for it, I would have rold her. "I can take it back to the STORE and get THAT for it! Why should you have this stuff delivered to your door free of charge, when it costed ME money to do it."
    I'm not sure, but it sounds as if you might have just run across a nutcase. It happens every once in awhile.