Learning as I go + grow....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nelson, Apr 14, 2002.

1. Nelson

Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

I am having a problem with first time cuts...

I guess I am not charging enough.... but it seems like I bust my A$$, and they tell me I will call ya when it's needed again.

I am making a little profit..but not enough.The only reason I am not is because I am thinking that they will turn out to be a good customer??????

From now on it's going to be full price regardless.....

Seems like I get things looking good & It's like Thank U
    See ya......

BUT NO MORE.....

Any insight will be appreciated...... :blob2:

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Dont take crap from anyone. Find out what price you need to get for doing the job, and if they dont take it, they are the ones who lose out. usually the ones who complain about prices are people who switch scapers every year. i have a neighbor up the street who asked me to do his lawn and i turned him down because he goes through at least two landscapers a year. it sucks knowing you did a good job and not getting the account, but you just need to stick with your price and get paid for your time.

3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Nelson .... in FL should be cutting 38-42 times yearly in your area .... Charging by Monthly is the ONLY way down here .... Single's maybe for a "Check Me out Deal" ... we're back to weekly since April 1 thru Oct .....it's going to get Hot soon .....no time for "I'll call ya" ....hang in there n have a good $$$ Summer ;->

4. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

I'd just take on the one time deals if I needed some space to fill or if there was a lot of profit. Otherwise it's not worth the time and BS.

Hank

5. Starling Lawn

Starling Lawn LawnSite Member

Nelson,you neeed to charge extra down here.One timers will kill you if you don"t charge right.I treat them as clean ups,so at least you make your money.If they balk,walk.
    Dave

6. Nelson

Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys for the info.......

I learned a good lession believe me....

It's going to be something that will make a profit...
    No matter if it will be a regular customer or not...

Starting out U try to do a good job..and "HOPING"
    they will be a regular customer..

Now its like...... I will do a great job & bid it right regardless if they will be a all year around customer...

Lesson well learned just from this site alone.....

Thanks to all the people who have gave all their expertiseinfo & to Lawnsite itself.......:D

7. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

We don't do a LOT of one-time mowings. Most of our clients we ask them to commit to one of our maintenance programs.

If we do take on a one time mowing, you better believe they are gonna pay through the nose for it. If they can find someone else to mow it cheaper - FINE! I don't really want one-time mowings that much anyway.

And if the lawn is too tall to mow with their own mower, they REALLY pay. I just love those. We can make $100 per man hour on some of those lawns. :blob3: