Learning curve > stand-on spray units

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Apr 24, 2014.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Wondering how long it takes for a guy to be proficient at operating a stand-on spreader/sprayer???

Reason I ask is I was amazed yesterday. This spring, we stole an employee from a local competitor. He had 2 weeks training on a Z-Spray intermediate last fall, but said he wasn't very good at it.

So yesterday, I let him drive a T3000 around the shop. Then I showed him a 20 acre cemetery that needed 'round one'. So I dropped him off at the cemetery with one ton of fert. I told him to return to the shop for more fert when he ran out. (4 lbs per K)

I got my route done about 2:00 p.m. So I drove back to the cemetery to see how Steve was doing. Turned out he just filled and was on his last section to complete the entire property.

So then I inspected his tire tracks, granular coverage, etc. It was perfect. Not bad for his first day.

Pretty much the only stand-on spreader/sprayers we see around here are the T3000,s, but what baffles me is so many lawnsite members saying they use something else. I don 't get it. :confused:

Steve's main comment was, "It's was so easy".

I'm 60-years-old, and I'm beginning to realize why TURFCO has patented their machine.

thoughts?

2. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

I trained my guy to use a Z in about 160hours. Sprayed water around my house a few times. Turned him loose on baseball fields first, then some family lawns. He's got the hang of it now. He's good. Proficient? Still a ways to go. But he's doing great because he doesn't want to go back to dragging hose.

It is probably easier to learn on a T. But I want more productivity out of my tech. We have many large properties and during spray rounds, he is going to be wasting too much time refilling.

I know you don't want to hear it, but I guarantee you a Z can do more production than a T. No problem at all. In fact, I wish there was a spray rig rodeo. I'd take on all comers.

3. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with you larry a great machine it was put together with lots of though. Easy to use I can even use it.

But to each there own

4. kbrashears

That should read 10-16 hours. Not 160 hours. Lol.

5. Raymond S.

Raymond S. LawnSite Senior Member

I learned in a few hours. Can't imagine it taking longer than that. If you can drive a zero turn mower you can drive a Z spray. Biggest hurdle is learning when and where to start and stop the fert. I've never driven a T3000 but I would like to just to know the difference.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. kbrashears

The main differences I can see is turning radius and ability to change directions and head back the other way much quicker on a Z. T is better on slopes for a novice.

Larry will tell you that you can't drive a Z one handed. That's not true. That's the only way I drive my Z.

7. Raymond S.

Raymond S. LawnSite Senior Member

I rarely drive mine with 2 hands. Right hand usually holds a wand for spot spraying weeds outside my booms and for pulling fert on and off.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

For a PG/GL type, you can get onto it within an hour or so. To be proficient, probably a couple long days in the field. Easiest machines to use by far.

9. Service 1st Lawn Care

Service 1st Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

As usual Larry doesn't really care just pushing T-3000, blah,blah,blah.:rolleyes:

10. kbrashears

Be nice. He's dang near 60 and he just realized that companies patent their ideas.