Learning Fertilization

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by guntruck, Jan 11, 2001.

1. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

This year i would like to get involved in the fertilization of lawns along with my mowing. Is this very difficult to learn or no? I was told if i do soil tests (making a small profit on that and providing an excellent individualized service) that the results from Lesco would provide information on what type and mix of fertilizer to use along with the lime app. I am a novice on this, no hiding that, but is it safe to offer this service depending on the soil test results?

Thanks
    Rich

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Full Service is the way to fly!!!

Once you have become licensed thru your State to apply chemicals to turf and ornamentals, you are on your way to a rather healthy profit for a marginal amount of work, but alot of walking.

Kelway has a soil tester for approx. $90 that you can test right on site. You can incorporate a section for "evaluating" these results right on your proposal forms.

We use heavy rate lime in our area because we are almost always acidic (over 7.2). We use drop spreaders for pulverized lime in the spring and broadcast spreaders for granular in the fall.

I have a formula that may help you structure your costs.

Hope this helps.
    Kris

3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Easy to learn, search here or hang out at Lesco. As for offering the service, works for me.

I would say read the soil test post I did but so many post have been deleted it makes little since now.

Ray

4. Toddppm

Toddppm LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Kutnkru
    That would be an alkaline reading, adding lime would just make it worse?

5. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!
    Lime is nuetral (7.0).
    It acts as a buffer for both acid and alkaline soils.
    It also adds vital magnesium and calcium.

6. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

As far as liscencing i looke up Marylands laws for this and had trouble finding anything. Does anyone know where to look? A pesticide liscence would do the trick or no?

Thanks

7. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Is Maryland far enough south to use sulfur the way we do lime to adjust the soils?

Kris

8. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

I'm relatively new to the business,just starting my third year. I always use the Lesco soil test. It is very thorough, and the folks at your local dealer will help you develop a fert plan based on the soil test results. Their advice has served me well.

9. Toddppm

Toddppm LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

I don't know what the PH of lime is , if it's neutral i guess it might bring it down, but from what i've read you would use sulphur to reduce high ph. Never had an alkaline reading so i don't know but 7.2 is alkaline and only slightly wouldn't normally need an adjustment?

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Rich, Contact your State Dept. of Agriculture and they will assist you with the info you need about certification, necessary insurances, and licensing. Also, your local Cooperative Extension Agency can assist you on where you can take classes and test for your certification.