Learning new services

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Ravenwood Landscaping, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Ravenwood Landscaping

Ravenwood Landscaping LawnSite Member

I'd like to think I'm pretty good at most things but I don't know all there is to know about certain services I'd like to offer in the future. For instance, I know paver installs aren't hard but I don't know how to do them perfectly. Would it make sense to hire a sub and watch them to get the experience? I don't want to offer a service I can't do but I want to have a wide range of services in the next few years. I guess the main question is how have some of you learned how to do some services you didn't know how to do before?

2. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering this same thing over the winter. Then i ran across a post in these forums where they have seminars in different states that can teach you the basics and then some. Have not had any luck finding any in my state yet but keep a look out.
    Maybe someone could post the links to some upcoming seminars.

3. dekalb lawn man

dekalb lawn man LawnSite Member

Alot of what I have learned has been doing things on my own property and learning from my mistakes. As far as seminars go I would suggest going to your local lawn mower dealer and ask them. They usually know when and where to go.

4. gmcplowtruck

gmcplowtruck LawnSite Member

i learn by doing it around mine and my family members houses
    you get a good learning experiance and you make your familys houses look good
    just got done putting versa loc walls up at mine and my grandmas house

as for the seminars go to where you get your pavers and retaining wall blocks and they might be having one coming up the nursery i get my stuff from had one end of the season

5. Ravenwood Landscaping

Ravenwood Landscaping LawnSite Member

Thanks for all of the help! I'll be checking for seminars this week.

6. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

I just noticed you were in Maryland. If you hear of any let me know. I'll do the same. I have found quite a few in surrounding states, but none in maryland as of yet.

7. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

ICPI wont be back till fall. You just missed one on FEB 6-7, 2007 I belive. Try the hardscaping forum, read EP HENRY books, go to trade shows and take classes, check with local colleges for classes that teach it. The sub is not a bad idea. Find one you can work with and not work for.

8. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

Also, don't underestimate the internet. Yes that trusty internet taught me many skills which came in handy when doing things the first time.

I offer dekmaster installs, which means removing the plywood off decks and installing the vinyl waterproof covering over new plywood. The company that sells the vinyl covering has such a good tutorial on installing their product that it was easy to do the first one. Talk about profitable work...yikes, I don't even want to mention profits, they are unbelievable. Mostly because people are scared of glue etc...

Internet = knowledge + profits. :)

9. Mow2nd-2

Mow2nd-2 LawnSite Member

i learned alot of what i know mainly from trail and error, but theres alot to be learned of the internet and at tech/community schools.
    i pressure wash driveways and houses in the winter while the grass isn't growing, it doesn't take much to figure out how to do it either.
    note---> if your winters generally stay below freezing pressure washing is not a good choice for you, where i'm at in the winter it generally stay around 35-40

10. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Try checking with company's that specialize in selling landscape stone, blocks, pavers to landscapers. Most of them will show you the correct way to lay pavers, stone, blocks and more for fee or a little fee because they want you to learn so you will be a good customer. Once you get into doing stone work its a win, win situation for you and them.