Learning to cut and manage grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Oct 7, 2007.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Just read a couple of books on lawn care and thought I would share some info. One book is "Scotts Lawns: Your Guide to a Beautiful Yard" . I have learned a lot from this about every aspect of lawn care from mowing, what grass work best in your area, seeding, reseeding, thatch, soil test, etc. This book is just such a good read and I know we have questions often about these subjects. The book in written by Scott's but it does not push their product. It's just a great book to learn by with great illustrations.

I also bought another book "The Lawn Bible: How to Keep It Green, Groomed, and Growing Every Season of the Year" which is also a great read but without as many pictures but still very informative written by a guy that takes care of ball fields, etc.

I got both books for about $25 which qulified me for free shipping from Amazon. Well worth it.

One thing I learned is that no one around here is taking care of their lawns very well and it shows. But this area is not a high income area and I think this book would really help those in more affluent areas. But the information in these books is so valuable I wanted to share it. The Scotts book is a little better in my opinion.