1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Learning to say "NO"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MDLawnman, Oct 14, 2006.

1. MDLawnman

MDLawnman LawnSite Member

I have this problem saying no to people. I - like so many people on this site, like to work and to be completely honest like to make as much money as I can during the mowing season. However I have reached a point where I either have to start saying "no" to new accounts or start hiring employees. I have absolutely no desire to hire employees, but that is another discussion.
    Recent fall weather has put me a little bit behind with my regular weekly mowing and other accounts.

I'm at a job site puting my equipment away to go to the next job when I'm approached by an elderly woman. She asks me if I can mow her yard for her. Her mower is broken and she hasn't been able to get it fixed - you know the story. As I said I'm running behind. I have regular customers who have been paying me steadily all season. They expect me to do my job. So I explain to her that I'd like to help her out but I just don't have the time. Well she starts to get angry and she even raises her voice. I apologize repeatedly but it's not fair to my customers to abandon them for a one time cut.

This does not satisfy this woman and she begins to insult me, my family, my heritage and my upbringing. She's wagging her finger in my face and tapping me on the chest. I can feel my face turning red but I keep my composure. When she's finally finished chewing me out I looked her right in the eye and said, "Look Mom, I told you I'm busy. Get Dad to do it."

Had you going didn't I? :)
  2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yep and I was revin up to give you heck about it too!
    My pleasure at that was ripped away from me!
  3. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

That would have been funny but thats pretty much what my mom does to me every week. After I take all of her pension checks for gambling addictions, theres not much left over for her lawn care and I sure as heck aint doin it.
  4. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

Had me goin on that one! I was already thinking what I would have done.
  5. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

how many beers did you just drink:drinkup: :drinkup: thats funny you should save this for next april 1st. you didnt have to use much bait to get me hooked :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  6. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

Tell her... I'll add you to my list mom.... and I accept prepayment, ESPECIALLY from family!
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Ask them to prepay in cash and tell them you will get it later in day.
  8. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

And here I was feeling sorry for that poor little old lady.................................................maybe I still do :nono: :laugh: :laugh:

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Lol, Man You Have To Much Time On Your Hands On A Saturday Nite.
  10. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

That ain't right