leasing equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfsup, Feb 21, 2002.

1. turfsup

turfsup LawnSite Member

does anybody lease their equipment? didnt know if it was a good idea or not. your opinions please

2. CS Lawns

CS Lawns LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Never looked into it before but it seems to me you would end up paying double or more then financing or buying outright?? If I dont have it and need it I rent its cheaper. Thats my .02

3. DMS

DMS LawnSite Member

Turfsup-

I have leased a commercial 25 h.p. 52" Dixon through my local dealer for the past two seasons without any problems. It is a lease through the dealer and not through the company. I pay him $2000 at the beginning of the season and he allows me around 300 hrs of mowing time. This is a nice option for me because I receive a new mower each season and I haven't exceeded the hour max (this mower is used to complement a 42" Dixon that I own) and had to pay extra. He also takes care of any problems that may arise during the season related to routine care. I know there are several dealers in my area that offer this. Check around with some dealers in your area and see what they have to say.

DMS

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I am "leasing" my Exmark from Telmark (www.telmark.com) for 3 years. At the end of the lease they sell me the mower for $1.00 and it's mine to keep. The "lease" rate is similar to current financing rates and the payments are 100% deductable.

5. I leased from Telmark too. They required only two payments up front. It got me a mower I couldn't have purchased. I chose a 10% buyout lease. At the end of the lease I could purchase the machine for 10% of the original price. So I bought it.
    Interest rates were a lot higher back then. Mine calculated to the equivalent of 21% APR interest. They're a lot cheaper now.
    Leasing is a way to get a machine you can't purchase. It got me started. But I won't lease again.

Just pay very close attention to the terms of the contract.

Dave

6. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Telmark is the way to go!! I would not do any large equipment purchases I would lease! We lease 2 dump truck, sanders, 3 mowers and more. Whats great about a lease through them is its a 100% tax deductable and most are 5% or 10% buy outs at end. One more bonus, being a lease it doesnt show up on credit reports so if a cash loan from a bank is needed it doesnt show as a debt but a business expense! All our future leases will be through them as a matter of fact we just finished the paper work on the 2nd dump truck yesterday! All we needed was first and last months payments and BAM!!! its ours.

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

does telemark lease the new state of the art seeders,ive heard so much about.

8. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Telmark will lease anything I believe. They will also buy your existing equipment from you if your in a pinch for money and lease it back to you. I have 2 lease going with them right now.........one is a balloon payment and the other is monthly. They will work with you if you get in a tight too, I should know.

They are great people to work with and the part about the lease not showing up on your credit report is true...........bought my house and they didn't even know about these!;)

I got the $1.00 buy out deal too.