Leasing mowers??

Discussion in 'Rental Equipment' started by okeefl, Jan 27, 2007.

1. okeefl

okeefl LawnSite Member

Has anyone recently used a "lease program" for your mowers? I saw that Dixie Chopper has this type of program for 24 or 36 months...any thoughts or advice (pros-cons)
  2. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC LawnSite Member

Thats funny! I asked my local dixie chopper shop about lease's last month, and he claimed no one lease's mowers.
  3. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Id rather buy then to lease. I own all of my equipment,trucks,trailers,etc free and clear and I prefer it that way.
  4. Lynch Landscaping

Lynch Landscaping LawnSite Member

I would never lease a mower.
  5. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

why wouldn't you?
  6. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of cost per month are we looking at?
  7. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 LawnSite Senior Member

sure you can lease mowers, i think Exmark has a link to it on their website, when i went to buy my 06 Exmark W/B, i bought it cash but when i got in there the owner of the shop was going through all this paper work and it was for me to lease it, but i told him i was going to pay cash, sopose he dint lisen to me on the phone....he told me it was about $90 a month for 24 months with $1000 down for a 06 Exmark Metro W/B,,,,i know a guy that leased a Toro W/B for about the same price, i dont see why tis bad, and its wat im going to do in the spring for my next Exmark Metro W/B.minds well have the lawns pay for the machine
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Lease programs for mowers don't usually work the same way as a lease program for a car or truck. With a car or truck you have the option of returning the vehicle at the end of the lease or buying it. With most mower leases you buy the mower at the end of the term for one dollar (or whatever) and the mower is yours. It's treated by the IRS as a finance and not a lease and recovery is still due if you sell the mower.

I bought my 36" Exmark from www.telmark.com back in 2000 on a lease.
  9. okeefl

okeefl LawnSite Member

I am not sure of the specific costs involved, just surfed onto last night while doing some research. This site is a wealth of information so I thought I would see what you guys/ gals knew about it.

www.aefi.biz/default.asp (here is the site)
  10. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I'm coming up on the one year mark with the lease on my Phazer and when I found out what I'd be paying per month I was surprised that it was less than I thought it might have been. I did not have $5K+ just lying around and I wanted to upgrade to a rider so a lease was the best option for me. I may do it again depending on what is being offered at the time in the form of interest rate % and X amount of time for the lease.

I don't know if putting money down would have made any difference in what I'm paying. If I do lease another machine I'd most likely put something down.