Leasing out my phone number and answering services.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by buchwald, May 30, 2008.

1. buchwald

buchwald LawnSite Member

I have the phone # 1-800-LAWN-GUY and I am considering offering other lawn service companies to use the number for a monthly fee. I would retrieve all calls and then forward the information to you or your office.

So basically someone rents the use of my number for the city/metro area they are in. I forward via fax, email or phone the info of potential customers to the lawn service company in the area that currently rents my number. I'm not sure what cost would be fair, but was thinking in the range of $40-$75 a month, I would have to find out my costs for phone charges and labor to figure out a exact fee.

You would get to use the 1-800-LAWN-GUY phone number for your marketing....example: postcard, flyer, advertisements, business cards, vehicle signs, yard signs.

I'm looking to read posts from those of you who might seriously be interested in using my services.

I appreciate the comments.
  2. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like just another scheme to keep from havin to work.
  3. Nickos

Nickos LawnSite Member

sure its catchy but would you drive to another area code long distance for a job, pretty sure no one here would.
    that and its 40-75 a month less in the pocket
  4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I think the problem I would have with using this service, would be, how would you guarantee that ALL calls were being answered? How many calls would come in that you would miss or not even bother answering. Afterall, you would be receiving your monthly fee, so missing some calls here and there wouldn't be a big deal to you. I just don't see how you could guarantee that all calls would be answered. Just throwing that out there for something to think about.
  5. buchwald

buchwald LawnSite Member

You should only get calls from areas you service, since the calls would come from your own advertisements.
  6. buchwald

buchwald LawnSite Member

All calls are directed to a voicemail and then info would be written down and forwarded.
  7. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

I think the better way to do this is to instead of directing to voicemail forward to remote extensions (each contractor being one.) I for one don't like leaving voicemail to companies and I think most contractors would have a higher rate of sale if there is a live person answering the phone, immediately, not getting back to them later. Strike while the iron is HOT!
  8. buchwald

buchwald LawnSite Member

This number is through a pager/voicemail system and can't be changed over to a regular phone line. Alot of contractors don't answer their phones most of the time, so most people usually have to leave a message anyways.
  9. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher LawnSite Member

I wonder if 1-800-bite-mee is still available??
  10. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Damm u beat me to it lol.

I wouldnt do it. Had some company contact me last yr for the same thing.
    They sent a rep out to sell the idea. Called all the area LCO's in my area. Not one signed up. Find another get rich idea. I want my own phone# not yours:usflag: