Leasing vs. buying equipment

Discussion in 'Rental Equipment' started by TTM42, Dec 8, 2011.

1. andyslawncare

andyslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

buy your mowers, lease larger equipment, or just buy it all. A lease has never made sense to me cost to own vs. cost to lease. I couldn't imagine not owning my own mowers which last forever if you maintain them, which you lease will probably require.... Maintenance costs more than ownership during a normal 2,000 hr engine life. I subcontract most of my heavier equipment needs.

2. lazor-cut

lazor-cut LawnSite Senior Member
    from Wixom

Not to bash on you but....... When you're putting the kind of hours on a SINGLE machine as I or any other company is you might under stand my logic behind leasing mowers. Time is MONEY!

3. mjstef

mjstef LawnSite Member

"FLEECING" anything is not smart. Owning it is. I just traded my 2004 721 Diesel 60" Grasshopper with 1,000 hours on it and got $7,500 on trade against a new 725D T6 Grasshopper. Wrote a check for the $9,000 to boot. I can write checks like this as i have no debt. Sitting on the trailer, paid for and i sleep well at night! Everything i own is paid for. Sure i struggled to do this for a few years but now all upgrades are CASH! It leaves a LOT of extra $$$ around for fun stuff that normally would go to payments and interest.......

4. elbow300

elbow300 LawnSite Member

Not sure if you are talking about mowers, but Snapper Pro/ Ferris has a decent lease offer. I got the pitch from the local dealer, we just dont put enough hours on the machines to make it the best option for me

5. TwoBrosLawn

TwoBrosLawn LawnSite Member

I have been renting equipment for a few years now, new equipment leasing has a new every 2 program now, just as it says you get a new machine ever other year, 60" Toro EFI 10,600.00 my payment is $344/mo

6. mowingbuddies-dw

mowingbuddies-dw LawnSite Member

Where do you find quality used equipment?

7. Prairie moon

Prairie moon LawnSite Member
    from Mn

Yeah I've always wondered about lease as well... But have never went that route... Have two new mowers paid for one and payments on the other. Wich has been so nice with the peace of mind of warranty.... But we've always Maintained our mowers meticulously tho as well. I have two others mowers we bought used and have been still using them for the seven years We have been in bussiness and the have treated us very well to and don't owe us anything Wich is nice !!!!