Least amount of maintenance for a rider?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ramlawncare, Feb 15, 2007.

1. ramlawncare

ramlawncare LawnSite Member

What brand in general has the least amount of maintenance for its riders?

I am specifically looking at the Exmark Navigator and the Walker T. I know there is an entire thread about the two but overall maintenance (not just the frame cracking) is what I want to know about.

I currently use Snapper and have had good results but I want a front mounted deck with the ability to get into tight places. A lot of the yards around here are small or odd-shaped.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

2. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am looking for the same info, in fact I started a thread in the Ex mark section a day or two ago, have not got a lot of response at last look.
    I am interested in both of these machines and have read and reread many of the walker threads on here. I kind of go back and forth on which machine to possibly purchase, and in fact it will probably come down to what I think after a demo of the navigator, and price.
    I demoed a walker last fall and was disappointed because of the crappy machine the dealer secured for me to use. It had over 1600 hours, very beat up, pulled to the left, and had a vibration within the deck, my feet felt like they were asleep after I got off at each property. To be fair to the dealer he is going to get a different machine for us to try this spring. Needless to say I felt their best foot was not put forward with that machine. Comparing all things it seems to be a very close race between the 2 machines and may come down to price. I found out they can get me a navigator with the larger engine option for around 11,500.00. I will look more at it come spring.
    Hope you find the info you are looking for, sounds like we are both in the same boat so to speak. If I find out more info I will share it with you, If you find some please let me know as well. :waving:

Jeff

3. Mountain Peak

Mountain Peak LawnSite Member

I've heard the walkers have a lot of maintenance that needs done each year.

4. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Hustler,hands down, are the easiest mowers to maintain. There are no daily lube points...and the spindles only need to be greased every 500 hours. I just sold an 03 model with 1200 hours-it still had the original hydraulic drive belt on it. :usflag:

5. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

A larger frame Z like a Lazer Z, or a Scag or Bobcat or such has less mainainence then a dedicated bagger like a Walker or even the Navigator. That is fact.

If you are looking at Dedicated Baggers, the Navigator has less lubrication points then the Walker. 11 unofficially.

Both have the obviously like blade sharpening and balancing, drive tires pressures. Navigator has a semipneumatic rear tire, Walker hasn't unless they added it. Belts, hydro fluid, and engine maintenence are a given on any machine.

Want less repairs? Keep your machine clean and free of debris buildup. Makes such a difference and it is way too overlooked in my opionion.

I would have a pressure washer, or even run the trailor through the coin operated wash and rinse everthing down once a week. Just stay away from the air filter, muffler, and wiring best you can. Moisture from washing isnt' going to hurt the machine any worse than having fertilizer filled grass laying on it, with dirt and moisture caked on everything.

AND......it's looks neater and cleaner when you show up at a customer's house.

Again, just my opinion.

6. mowpart rep3

mowpart rep3 LawnSite Member

i would look at grasshopper, the 723k2 with a 52" or even a 722D with a 61". grasshopper offers the new g2 pumps which are very responsive. they have 2 year full warranty and the 722D diesel has alot of torque. plus they are offering 1.9% for 52 months whick makes it very afforable you can look at www.fourbros. for more info

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I am not sure about buying a low maintenance machine, I am more interested in a high reliability machine. The Walker is built with a LOT of grease certs and I think that is a good thing....every pivot get grease. The good part are all the certs are accessible. Every machine needs oil changed, filters, blades sharpened, belts replaced on regular basis.

8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I think its a bad thing. Never fall behind and dont grease something? With sealed bearings you dont have to worry. Exmark has sealed bearings in the spindles, front forks, and the front wheels. I dont think you can beat this mower for low maintenance.

9. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Front mounts are higher maintenance than mid-mounts because there are more parts to wear out. This is true no matter what brand your looking at. Over the life of the machine this can add up to conciderably more expense.

10. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Just buy the best mower you can afford and one that has a decent cut. It doesn't matter what brand of mower you buy they will all need maintnance some more some less but most will need the same thing around the same time.