Least expensive, highest quality commercial ZTR...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tejas241, Nov 11, 2004.

1. tejas241

tejas241 LawnSite Member

Maybe this is a contradiction in terms. :help: But I am trying to startup in the businees and was wondering if I might get feedback on ZTRs. I want to get the absolutely best and most for my money... or lack there of. So thought I thought I would see what kind of insight you guys and gals had. Thanks!

2. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

you get what you pay for. i recomend exmark ztr, scag is nice too, walker...the list goes on. their is no best mower. i would shop around at your dealer and look, maybe a nice entry size would be a 48" deck depending on how much work your going to handle. use the search feature at the top of the page and look around the past threads, their plenty of knowledge here.

good luck.

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

dito to PRO. You get what you pay for!

4. chief5139

chief5139 LawnSite Member

If your just starting out you may want to find a high quality mower thats strong and dependable thats not to expensive incase in a year or to you decide to get out you don't have much in it. May I recommend a snapper ctz
    its a new one due out next year. 48" cut 21 hp vanguard engine that runs for under $5,000 dollars and it still has commercial quality all over it. like a 7 ga welded deck. :cool:

5. tejas241

tejas241 LawnSite Member

Thanks again for your time... yes financing is definately important to me!
    The Toro and Exmark look identical, are they the same manufacturer? Do any of you have any idea which of the two is better, and what the main benefits of each are?
    Also I am not seeing many posts about kubota, what are your thoughts on them?
    Anybody had any experience w/ the SNAPPERS?

6. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

When you compare the top brands like Scag, Hustler, or Exmark the decision really comes down to the dealer in your area. Go with the best dealer as far as customer service is concerned. If you buy an Hustler from a dealer who is crappy you'll start to blame Hustler and bad mouth your mower!

7. ace56320

ace56320 LawnSite Member

I would check into a gravely pm 160 very nice machine for about $6500 :cool2:

8. Aaron Marshall

Aaron Marshall LawnSite Member

Along with what the other guys said about dealer/customer service, what kind of terain are you going to be opperating in? In my area its relativly flat and lots of small yards with trees, and some small gates with only 48" gates. In this case, the walker works wonders for me. If I was to go somewhere with hills or large open areas a big ztr would be much more effiecent. Hope that helps!
    Aaron

9. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

You first need to figure out, what you need the machine to do. Lots of great machines out there, and they are all good, in there environment. If a new one is to much, look for a good used one, at dealer's, or auctions. I agree with the above, dealer's need to be factored in too. Good luck !!!

10. Just MY thoughts:
    At this point in time, I would not give up my walk behind with sulky for a ZTR. Later, if/when I pick up larger properties I will definitely reconsider. There are things that can be done with a W/B easier than with a Z (mainly dealing with hills). But a Z will cover more acreage in the same amount of time terrain permitting.

Something you may want to consider since W/B's are considerably cheaper than Z's

Good Luck!