Least expensive way to beef up rear springs

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by dualsmows, Mar 25, 2008.

1. dualsmows

dualsmows LawnSite Member

I have a 1995 GMC HD 1/2 ton and looking for a way to keep it level when pulling my 20 ft. trailer.
    Thanks

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.suspensionconnection.com...e/to=x/tf=model/to=x/tf=description/to=r.html
    http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/2025C.html

Helper springs, air bags, or buy replacement leafs for the 3/4 model and bolt em up to the 1/2 ton.

just remember that you are not increasing your load rating....just the spring rate.

also check you trailer balance. if you are towing a 2000lb trailer, your tounge weight should only about 10-15% of the trailer weight.

Another thing that could affect your ride is the hitch height

Also, your current springs are 10 years old, I'm sure they are tired...and your shocks are probably due for replacement. If it was me. I'd try new shocks first...

no matter what, you looking at 3 bills, for springs and shocks...

3. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

firestone ride rite airbags much better than those springconnection things and you can adjust it very easy..only $199..

4. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

More springs will give you a stiffer ride without the trailer + jack your rear end up too. We put Firestone Air Lifts, with an underhood compressor and incab gauge and controller in our F250's. Now you have air with you whenever you get a flat, and the luxury of a smooth ride when not loaded. But I do agree, your springs may be tired, and thats not helping your case. BTW, that setup cost us about $800 installed-well worth it in my opinion.

5. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

Helper springs will not affect your unloaded ride characteristics.

6. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Air shocks would probably be your least expensive approach.

7. Duncan90si

Duncan90si LawnSite Member

8. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

If your 'helper springs' refer to adding additional leaf springs, I disagree with your statement as I added additional leaf springs on a few trucks and the end result was a bumpy ride and the tail end was in the air when not under load.

9. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I tried the add a leafs and I hated it so I switched over the air bad suspension it was pricey but was well worth it in the long run...

10. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

I am not referring to an add a leaf (adding more springs to the existing leaf pack). A helper spring (some call them overload springs or camper springs) mount on top of the current leaf pack and do not come into play into there is weight added to the truck. The do not increase the ride height or ride quality.